Port Douglas / Cairns day trips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

huds

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been on two liveaboards on the GBR and experienced the Quicksilver day boat. Are there any dive operations based in Port Douglas (preferably) or Cairns that offer good quality, personalised day trips? I am a reasonably experienced OWSI and am going to Port Douglas next week for a short break. I cannot afford another liveaboard this year so any suggestions for day trips would be most welcome.

Cheers,

Huds:)

I was briefly in Port Douglas last October. There are a number of operators who do day trips. You can access them through any of the dive shops in town. There are 2 large catamarans and a smaller vessel. The larger cats get out to the reef a bit quicker (~ 2 hours) but the whole experience is a bit impersonal. As an experienced diver you might be in the minority and will probably find yourself in a group of 7-8, with a divemaster. Expect to do 3 dives in the day.

You might find the diving less than impressive after your live-aboards. The usual sites tend to be heavily used. I have to say I found the fish-life a little disappointing.

You may be able to rustle up a smaller operator who will take you to less heavily populated locations.

Thanks - unless anyone can suggest otherwise then I tend to agree with you and will leave my gear bag at home this time.:(

Back
Top Bottom