Searching for a dive master internship.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TomL94

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys, my names Tom Laycock a 19 year old currently living in Brisbane Australia aspiring to become a dive instructor.

I have been searching for an internship now for around a month as i have decided i really love diving and want to make a career out of it. I currently have my advanced scuba license and will be buying my own bcd in the coming weeks/month. I have only 11 logged dives which is a lot less than i would like but i have been busy moving to 3 different states in the last year and i have not had as much time as i would have liked to go more. I acquired my open water at Tufi dive resort PNG and my advanced from Perth scuba.

basically was just posting this for some tips or help regarding how to get into this or perhaps even find one through this forum which would be fantastic.

if anyone would like some extra information just message me.

thanks.

hook up with a dive store and dive, lots, before you take the plunge.

I know of very few people in australia who are professional divers only, of those none are in major cities. Most work full time elsewhere 9-5 and teach for the enjoyment.

hook up with a dive store and dive, lots, before you take the plunge.

I know of very few people in australia who are professional divers only, of those none are in major cities. Most work full time elsewhere 9-5 and teach for the enjoyment.
Thanks, and yeah i have just moved to brisbane and i'm going to start diving once i get settled, i know i will need more dives under my belt this was more for a next year thing and i would like to work overseas rather than Australia, and if anyone has any recommendations of dive shops in brisbane that would be fantastic

I don't know how you'll go in Brisbane with formal internships. There aren't many dive operators and AFAIK they tend to operate on the weekend or just occasional week days when there's demand. I think their instructors are mainly weekend warrior types who do it as a hobby rather than a career. That doesn't mean they're bad instructors (far from it IME) but they don't do it for a living.

Anyway, the main players with their own boats are Nautilus Scuba, Go Dive and Snorkel Safari. Nautilus offer DM / instructor courses for a fee and the opportunity to work on their boat at weekends, which would get you the C Card and some experience for your resume, though it wouldn't pay the bills (unless you forage for all your food and live in a tree :wink:). The others probably do the same, but I don't have personal experience with them.
Nautilus Scuba SUPERCAT » Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Snorkel Safari Brisbane
Scuba Dive Brisbane | Go Dive Brisbane | Learn To Scuba Dive | PADI Dive Shop

There is also Manta Dive at Stradbroke Island.
http://www.mantalodge.com.au/diving/

I think the two operators at Mooloolooba also use part timers (at any rate, the instructors I've dived with up there did it as a second job/fun activity), but you could give them a call.

At the risk of being a wet blanket (or towel :D) you're still pretty new to it (as am I) and I think your best plan for 2014 would be to dive as much as possible around SEQ and northern NSW at a variety of sites, get your Rescue cert and then look at going further.

Hey guys, my names Tom Laycock a 19 year old currently living in Brisbane Australia aspiring to become a dive instructor.

I have been searching for an internship now for around a month as i have decided i really love diving and want to make a career out of it. I currently have my advanced scuba license and will be buying my own bcd in the coming weeks/month. I have only 11 logged dives which is a lot less than i would like but i have been busy moving to 3 different states in the last year and i have not had as much time as i would have liked to go more. I acquired my open water at Tufi dive resort PNG and my advanced from Perth scuba.

basically was just posting this for some tips or help regarding how to get into this or perhaps even find one through this forum which would be fantastic.

if anyone would like some extra information just message me.

thanks.

Don't know how OR WHY you have got your advanced "certificate/card" not license- there isn't one- after only 11dives, do you feel advanced or just excited?

Probably Thailand/bali is your best shot to do the OWSI cheaply and get lots of certs done quickly. Courses Packages package - All4Diving : For All your diving need in thailand

Hell knows why, it pays terrible and you've got to look after noobies that do crazy things all the time and your responsible for them. Thats not fun!! Diving for your own pleasure is fun.... get a job that pays well, buy a boat and dive when you want to.

Tom, best thing would be to get a proper job and dive on weekends and holidays. You will end up with lots more money and also love diving more.

The best thing to do for the next couple of years is to dive. Dive a LOT. Dive in different conditions, from the shore, from a boat, in daylight, at night, in as many different places and situations as you can.

Keep the DM idea in the back of your head but learn to be a diver first.

Good luck!

-Adrian

Don't know how OR WHY you have got your advanced "certificate/card" not license- there isn't one- after only 11dives, do you feel advanced or just excited?

Probably Thailand/bali is your best shot to do the OWSI cheaply and get lots of certs done quickly. Courses Packages package - All4Diving : For All your diving need in thailand

Hell knows why, it pays terrible and you've got to look after noobies that do crazy things all the time and your responsible for them. Thats not fun!! Diving for your own pleasure is fun.... get a job that pays well, buy a boat and dive when you want to.

awesome nit picking there... :rolleyes:

Tom.... If you want to work in Australia the "zero to hero" route in Thailand is not well looked upon. talk to a few dive centres and see if they will hire a OWSI from those courses.

awesome nit picking there... :rolleyes:

Tom.... If you want to work in Australia the "zero to hero" route in Thailand is not well looked upon. talk to a few dive centres and see if they will hire a OWSI from those courses.

Tom's cheapest way to log dives fast and get his "golden ticket" is Thailand or Bali!

Nit pick??? Pffffffffttttttttttttttt! Zero
"get a job that pays well" was my best effort, seems your point isn't so strong, accurate or pertinent anyhow Brako.

Whats REALLY is "looked upon" #1 is your Diving skills; first hand in the water!!! The opinions of the current "trusted" staff will most like determine this.............
Then your looks, age, financial state, sexuality, race, martial status, dive log, your level of training, multiple languages(especially Chinese, Korean and Russian) , attitude/demeanor and how LITTLE money you want to do the job- as most Aussie dive ops consider it to be a "dream job", you dive for FREE. Some of the best instructors there are come from Thailand's west coast, they dive 6 days a week, 3 dives a day and more- Aussie ops can't compete on price, food and accommodation or dive instructor capabilities(the ones who teach you to be an instructor). Australia targets the "rich/highroller tourist", which is a big fail, thinking rich people are loose with money....hahhhaa!

His likelihood of reasonable work in Australia will only come thru setting up his own Dive service company- they pay a pittance working for the few remaining ops in this over regulated/governed country called "the lucky country"(nowadays its almost said in sarcasm). He will then work harder then he ever dreamed off- having seen a dive instructor nearly drive off(falling asleep) into the center median strip on the Bruce highway, I will repeat it once more- GET A REAL JOB!

Armchair heros the next 50kms!

Last edited:
Tom's cheapest way to log dives fast and get his "golden ticket" is Thailand or Bali!

Nit pick??? Pffffffffttttttttttttttt! Zero
"get a job that pays well" was my best effort, seems your point isn't so strong, accurate or pertinent anyhow Brako.

Whats REALLY is "looked upon" #1 is your Diving skills; first hand in the water!!! The opinions of the current "trusted" staff will most like determine this.............
Then your looks, age, financial state, sexuality, race, martial status, dive log, your level of training, multiple languages(especially Chinese, Korean and Russian) , attitude/demeanor and how LITTLE money you want to do the job- as most Aussie dive ops consider it to be a "dream job", you dive for FREE. Some of the best instructors there are come from Thailand's west coast, they dive 6 days a week, 3 dives a day and more- Aussie ops can't compete on price, food and accommodation or dive instructor capabilities(the ones who teach you to be an instructor). Australia targets the "rich/highroller tourist", which is a big fail, thinking rich people are loose with money....hahhhaa!

His likelihood of reasonable work in Australia will only come thru setting up his own Dive service company- they pay a pittance working for the few remaining ops in this over regulated/governed country called "the lucky country"(nowadays its almost said in sarcasm). He will then work harder then he ever dreamed off- having seen a dive instructor nearly drive off(falling asleep) into the center median strip on the Bruce highway, I will repeat it once more- GET A REAL JOB!

Armchair heros the next 50kms!

After speaking to several dive shops in brisbane and the gc, getting all your certs in thailand/philippines/malaysia etc doing a zero to hero WILL affect your likelihood of employment.
I didn't say they won't hire you, but if there's a few people going for the position they are likely to choose someone with training done in house.
This is the case with most diveshops in s.e qld. Trust me I called nearly every one.
Don't go zero to hero. Take your time getting your certs.
Dive some more, go for your rescue. Dive some more then when you feel you are ready go for your dm.
Whats the rush?
Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom