First time going to GBR (in July)-- would greatly appreciate some knowledgable advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anita Walters

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

Hubby and I are admittedly vacation divers, though we've been certified awhile. Finally, we got the opportunity to visit Australia in July and do "the reef". Would like to do a liveaboard trip (which everyone here seems to recommend), but after the plane fare, we don't think this will be financially feasible. Are the day-dives (or night dives) truly uninspiring, as some have said here? :depressed: If anyone has had a good experience day-diving from either Port Douglas or Cairns and has found some relatively pristine spots with unusual sea life, I'd sure love to hear about it! On that note, is there a dive shop that you would expressly recommend? (We're staying in Palm Cove.) Some non-negotiables would be a dive master (don't want to be left alone with a compass!), limited # of divers, and preferably fast transportation to get out a little further.

I am curious if any exotic critters can still be spotted. E.g., ghost pipefish, cuttlefish, octopi, rays, etc. (Okay, just got an awesome Reef Fish guide, so I already have some big dreams :)) Still, would love to hear any hopeful stories...

Thank you for any input-- it is much appreciated!

Sorry nobody responded to this earlier. Ummm your list of critters are really not asking much except for the ghost pipefish. Even that can normally be found within a few hours drive of Sydney.

I haven't done any day trips up there. I think it is all what you are used to! Some people are pretty jaded:) Where have you dived in the past.

Queensland has some pretty strict rules regarding diving. They get so many vacation divers there. I think you would be hard pressed to find a dive boat that wouldn't insist on having a DM in the water with you.

I expect you will have some posters who can tell you more about the area you are talking about. I am sure you will enjoy the diving here. Even Sydney and Melbourne have wonderful diving with unusual creatures:)

Thank you!! (I wasn't expecting such a quick reply!) Glad to hear that there are invertebrates and other oddities to be found still. (I would like to travel down to Sydney to see your neck of the woods and new dive spots, but we're locked into a QLD hotel. Definite consideration for the future, though.) I mostly dived in Kona, with a few trips to Cozumel and the Caymans. I've seen quite a few turtles, rays, eels and and colorful schooling fish, but I just have a soft spot for the unusual stuff that isn't available there. This will be a very pleasant change...

Re. the dive shops, thanks for easing my mind a bit; I am glad to hear that divemasters are the norm. I did read a few unsettling things about certain shops on other boards, however-- e.g., a couple said they were given compasses and told to return in an hour/not enough DMs to accommodate all the newbies onboard. Hopefully that's the exception...

Can I pick your brain about the possibility of whale or dolphin citings in the winter? (On a day-trip, that is.) Is that over-reaching? (BTW, I'm probably in the minority, but I'm not too keen on sharks-- unless they're whale sharks.:cool2:)

Thank you for your time!

Last edited:
I've done day trips with Quicksilver out of Port Douglas (Silversonic) and Cairns (Silverswift, twice), and with Poseidon out of Port Douglas. They were all good in my opinion. Fish, coral, calm blue ocean etc. The PD trips were to the Agincourt Reef and the Cairns trips to Flynn Reef. All these trips were a full day, even on fast boats.

If someone would like to pay for me to do a liveaboard trip then I'll be happy to compare and contrast :wink: (and I'm sure they're wonderful) but in the meantime the price and time has been a stumbling block. I'm sure these reefs aren't as pristine as the Ribbon reefs the liveaboards go to, but I still thought they were fabulous and there were plenty of fish and corals, so I guess it's all relative.

Each operator sent groups of certified divers out in a conga line with a DM in charge. I don't have an issue with this (it's very easy and we saw some great stuff) but I realise some divers find this a bit claustrophobic. Be aware that the Australian standard of 'great service' is not the same as many other places, and that doesn't just apply to dive operators. I found all three boats had friendly, knowledgeable staff and looked after everyone well. However, that's from an Aussie diver perspective, where any trip with a buffet lunch and no obligation to help with the boat trailer and lug the tanks on and off is pretty luxurious :eyebrow:.

In July it may be pretty crowded; a lot of people dive the reef and the three boats above are fairly large, though IME most people were snorkellers or OW candidates. There are some smaller operators who have been recommended on here before, but I don't have personal experience with them.

Either way enjoy your trip to Cairns, and have a look at the landbased stuff if you get the chance. Daintree is lovely, as is Mossman George.

I appreciate the info! I'm feeling better already. (As far as luxuries, though we're yanks we're not really prima donnas -- though I hear you about lugging tanks. :wink:.) I appreciate the feedback about Daintree/Mossman too-- that's a real plus. Thanks!

I'd also suggest you have a look around some of the other threads in the Australian section. I bet you will find some helpful information in some old threads as well. There are some pretty rigid rules about diving in Queensland about how much air you have to surface with and that you must carry a snorkel. Gloves are not an issue one way or the other. Tips are appreciated but not required/expected so you don't have to build that into your budget like in the US where you tip X amount a tank.

Dolphins? Common sighting of them in many locations. I don't even consider it to be out of the ordinary to have a pod following the dive boat. I haven't been lucky enough to see them underwater yet tho:(

Sydney is an under appreciated dive destination IMHO. Here is an example http://australianmuseum.net.au/BlogPost/Science/Sydneys-Pygmy-Pipehorses-mating friend of our got the video

Another site
http://underwater.com.au/article.php/id/1955/

Stayed in Palm Cove about 8 years ago. Very nice, far better (IMHO) than either Port Douglas or Cairns. Given the choice I would dive from Port Douglas. I dived with both Posieden and Habba doing a day trip with each. Not sure if Habba is still doing trips as their boat sunk a few years ago.

Both were good trips. The boats are quite large and very fast, but it is still a long trip out to the reef. About 40 people on each boat, but most were snorkelers and once in the water never saw them again. Two groups of divers - discouver scuba was the largest group and then a smaller group of certified divers. The smaller group of divers (6 as I recall) had a single DM and we were guided around the reef. Lots to see, but at the time I was returning to diving and really didn't know what I was seeing. Did see a cuttlefish, no rays and no sharks, but did enjoy the diving.

So much so that I decided to do a liveaboard and I booked a last minute trip on a Mike Ball boat. The diving was MUCH better on the liveaboard and the highlight of the trip to Australia. Giant cod at cod hole, fire clam on one dive, and significantly more reef fish on all of the dives, and the reefs themselves were healthier, but still glad I did the day trips.

Highlights of the trip other than the diving were day trips up onto the Atherton tablelands to do a hot air ballon ride and just drive around, a drive to the Daintree, the tourist train trip to Karunda, and the Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Park. Dinner in Port Douglas and the same in Cairns and just explore the town.

Much thanks! I did hear about Haba as well (too bad about that very expensive boat!). Appreciate the tips re. sightseeing; can't wait to get there!

Hi Anita, glad you and your husband are coming to dive my home town.
If i can answer any of your questions about Cairns it would be a pleasure.
Your going to love the GBR.

Welcome to SB Andy You will get to meet some awesome people here. Glad you have so info for Anita:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom