Beach bumming, island life + GBR diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tresbon

New
Reaction score
Hi all,
Got four days off from Thursday and need a break. Hoping to dive the GBR (would be first dives in Australia after years of SE Asia goodness) but don't necessarily want to be on a liveaboard - would prefer to have some downtime just lazing on the beach etc. I probably want to do four dives in total over two of the days I'm up there. Coming from Sydney. Which island should I stay on? Am I really missing out if I don't liveaboard? Thanks for the advice!

Quite a few threads on this topic. Heron, Lady Elliott, Lady Musgrave are 3 of the better ones. Lizard is the best as its right up north in the Ribbon Reef areas, and costs a small fortune!

Bit more variety on a live aboard (see Mike Ball or Spirit of Freedom which depart Thursdays), but lots of decent sites off of some of the islands. Just remember GBR is north of Bundaburg so further north you go better the corals etc are (hence Cairns and Townsville being prime locations), but islands offer different opportunities and sea life, more shore activities and probably more chill time.

One day to get there from Sydney, one day to get back. One day off gassing. Equals one day diving. Not worth the effort.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom