Ribbon Reefs and north of Cairns--Cyclone Ita aftermath?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishCity

Contributor
Reaction score
We have been to GBR 3 times: once on dayboats ex-Port Douglas (Agincourt), once from Lizard (Cod Hole, a ribbon reef), and the latest from Coral Princess II. That latter trip was the best by far.

We were fortunate to have had 3 great days at Ribbon Reefs 9 and 3, Escape Reef, and off Lizard, just before Cyclone Ita. It was amazing. Had been all set to go back in 2015, probably with Mike Ball, then started reading about the before-and-after photos of the reefs up there and the survey done of damages.

Has anyone been up there? Have feedback on how bad it is, especially at the reef tops? My husband can only snorkel and I am a scuba wannabee, so we will be up top, not deeper where it may have had less damage... We are very avid and mad keen snorkelers, with our own equipment.

Are the boats adjusting their itineraries after Ita, or should we look elsewhere for the next trip and thank the Universe that we got to see the GBR when we did? (We are not suited for the "outer reef and Coral Sea type trips, and are concerned that places on the Ribbon Reefs and Cod Hole with storm damage at the top may still be good for divers and thus still on itineraries.)

Very little has changed and the coral is very resilient to this. I have not heard, or seen, any reports of reef damage as the swells were large but only swells and not breaking waves or surges. Most of the coral is around 1m or so below so doesnt get the full effect.

I am sure there may be some branching coral damage somewhere but it certinly has not stopped any activity up here. No oprerator has changed their itinerary at all.

Good to hear hopeful news. The Lizard Island Research Station blog indicated the North Beach corals were totally trashed. I wonder about Watson's and Turtle Beach there--those would be breaking waves, backwash, etc. Sad to think we may have been among the last groups to see it. There was an enormous green table coral there...about 10 feet across. Doubt it fared well.

Just wondering if anyone has been up there recently, observations? Still trying to plan for September 2015.

Dive trip wise its fine. Check out the blog / testimonial pages on either Mike Ball or Spirit of Freedom sites. Lizard Island is still closed for repairs and renovations though.

I was there shortly after the cyclone. The dive operator said it was really just assessing the damage. It is hard for me to say how much of the damage we saw was from the cyclone and how much of it was just what had happened over the 13 years it had been since I was last there. I know we went to one site that I thought was a total waste of a dive (don't remember the name off the top of my head) because of what little living coral we saw. I have to believe they would not have taken us there if they knew it was going to be like that.

Lizard Island itself was hit hard. The damage there was extensive.

Anybody else been up thattaway?

We have a private charter later this year; they often suggest Lizard, but since we have stayed there and also snorkeled there March 2014, am not sure we want to stop there. Observations will be helpful.
The resort is opening, but who knows what Watsons Bay, Turtle Beach etc. Look like now?
Thanks.

I was there shortly after the cyclone. The dive operator said it was really just assessing the damage. It is hard for me to say how much of the damage we saw was from the cyclone and how much of it was just what had happened over the 13 years it had been since I was last there. I know we went to one site that I thought was a total waste of a dive (don't remember the name off the top of my head) because of what little living coral we saw. I have to believe they would not have taken us there if they knew it was going to be like that.

Lizard Island itself was hit hard. The damage there was extensive.

Just bumping up in case anyone has been there recently. Our trip is coming up and we need to plan the boat itinerary. Thanks!

Just bumping up in case anyone has been there recently. Our trip is coming up and we need to plan the boat itinerary. Thanks!

Happy to say RR2, RR3, Opal Reef looked great.

A couple of weeks ago I saw a documentary on some TV channel--probably the Smithsonian channel--that was originally intended to be a typical "this is what it is like on the reef and the nearby area" show. By coincidence, they were there and filming when the cyclone arrived, and that became a key part of the show. They were able to show the devastation on the land pretty well.

What was most interesting though, was the section in which they showed Google Earth filming the reef. Yes, seriously. They used divers pushing a really cool camera that took video in all directions, including up and down. The Google Earth people had been working on the reef just before the cyclone arrived, and they went back after it. The show included one before and after clip that showed MAJOR damage. It went from a beautiful, colorful reef system to a pile of white rubble. Of course, that was only one site, but it showed that the reef did sustain damage that will take a long time to recover.

Back
Top Bottom