Job opportunities for foreigners in Cairns?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oreocookie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm considering applying for a Working Holiday visa and travelling to Australia from Oct/Nov to April/May. Ideally, I'd find a job working as an instructor for 5 or 6 months and then spend another month or so seeing the rest of the country and visiting family. Just wondering what the job market is like in Cairns during that time frame? Thanks in advance for any insights.

That's our summer over here so I'm guessing there would be a of of job opportunities over that time. Plus it's peak season for tourists so cairns will be very busy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is possible, but just remember that there is a lot of competition in Cairns and to work here as an instructor you will need to hold all the relevant qualifications that are required by Queensland Workplace Health and Safety. So you must be qualified in Australian Workplace first aid and also be an oxygen provider.

You will also need an Australian Professional Dive medical (can be done locally easily and is around $110).

If you have underwater camera exprience it opens up a few more doors as there is UW photography work. Instructor work is harder to find. Speak any other Languages??

It all helps. German, Japanese and especially Chinese and Korean are the main ones in demand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom