GBR Liveaboards - Divers Den, Rum Runner or Taka

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cayal

Contributor
Reaction score
My partner and I are planning a GBR live aboard for August 2015 and we've come across the following three "better" priced operators in Taka, Divers Den & Rum Runner.

We want to go out to the Outer Reef as we understand it is the better and less crowded of the diving and I think this might count out Divers Den as I was told they do not do the outer reef, can someone confirm otherwise?

I looked at Mike Ball & Spirit of Freedom but that was way out of our price range. We just want a 4 night/5 day trip if possible and was seeing if anyone had experience with the 2 (or 3) operators I've listed.

Thanks.

I agree, out of those choices Taka should get you to better dive sites on average. It spends some time at the area referred to as the Outer Reef, but also makes it further north to some of the Ribbon Reefs. (We did it years ago on a similar itinerary to what they're doing now, and the sites we dove on the Ribbon Reefs were much better than the Outer Reef sites. Diving was better the further north we were.) Boats like Mike Ball and SOF spend more time further north on the Ribbon Reefs and in the Coral Sea (with fewer divers, more service, etc.) You pretty much get what you pay for.

Outer Reef is an interesting name. It makes it sound remote and implies good diving. But it's only remote compared to some areas closer to Cairns and isn't the really good stuff. It's ok and better than a day ot the office for sure, but I was pretty unimpressed.

Reactions: MA
3rd vote for Taka! Its a budget trip compared to Mike Ball and Spirit of Freedom that does the same sites so well worth the money.

Ocean Quest is second best with a more luxurious boat but Outer Reef sites which although still good, are more suited for students, and less challenging dives.

Just remember if you do go in August for Taka its in the middle of the Minke Whale migration and thee trips book out months in advance so get in early!

Back
Top Bottom