GBR in February? Or go somewhere else?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

geoff w

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My wife has to be in Sydney for a couple of days in mid-February, and we're trying to decide whether to add a week on to her trip, have me join her and go diving. Unfortunately this trip just came up in the last week, so I didn't check out any of the dive operators and specials at DEMA in Las Vegas a week ago. The last time we dived in Australia, we were up at Lizard Island and had a very nice time, but it seems like they cyclone that wiped out lots of the area also closed the Lizard Island resort and it won't be reopened by the time we go.

Any recommendations on other good dive spots and operators to consider in mid-February? We've dived the GBR several times, and each time the diving seems less good than the previous times, which is probably due to increased development in the area, coral bleaching and we're more experienced divers. We just spent a week diving in Palau two weeks ago, so that also raised our standards. From what I can tell, mid-February is right in the middle of the monsoon season too

If not GBR, any suggestions for other spots to consider between the west coast USA and Sydney? Thanks in advance

Not a great time to be in Far North Queensland, still cyclone season and very hot and humid.

Fiji and Vanuatu are good spots, although you will still have similar conditions to above, although not as bad.

Its very hard to pick with the weather, but on the plus side its also starting to get into the slower season, so you don't have to make your mind up.

Plenty of decent trips that go up to the Ribbon Reefs. Taka is the budget version and you would know about Mike Ball and Spirit of Freedom.

Maybe see how the weather is shaping closer to the time and check out availbility.

Some good stuff around Sydney and the NSW coast to do somehting diffrent though.

I had a recent client from San Diego on the Spirit of Freedom about a month ago, good review. He did 7 days and the only negative was the trips are typically 3 or 4 days so he had two back to back trips. He thought the shorter trips attracted less experienced divers and he had trouble getting a nitrox buddy. But he did enjoy the charter.

We had trouble finding nitrox at all and even got an angry lecture from one operator about diving on drugs when we asked. Not sure if that's common or not.

Mike Ball, Spirit of Freedom and Taka all offer nitrox. It may not be that easy to find a nitrox buddy all the time, but its not usual for only 1 person to be using nitrox on the trips.

Its a personal preference and although better for you health wise its not going to shorten your dives if you dive with someone who is not diving on nitrox. Plenty of SI is planned to cover all passengers whether Nitrox or air.

Back
Top Bottom