Will Liveaboards Cut Single Supplement Charges If Last Minute?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cleung

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Would love to finally dive Great Barrier Reef but I've been told that the best dive sites are usually accessible only by liveaboards. I traveling as a single diver and would prefer my own cabin. But I also know that single supplements charges tend to be 50 to 100% of double occupancy costs.

Just wondering if liveaboards , especially towards the end of the high season or during low season, ever have last minute spaces available and if so, will they be willing to waive the single supplement just to fill a cabin?

If the total cost for me becomes prohibitive because of the single supplements, I will have to do day trips but don't know if day trips are worthwhile there.

You can sign up at the last minute and hope you don't get a roommate.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Clint, a bit easier for me than for you, I'd imagine. :wink:

I cannot answer for GBR specifically but have had similar scenarios in the 18 liveaboard cruises that I have been around the world.

I personally have never requested a single supplement, always indicating that I would be willing to share with another diver. On 5 occasions I have been on my own because there was no other solo diver, naturally without any supplement charge. On the sixth occasion, Phuket 2011 on board the MV Nautica, I was supposed to share with another diver but finding that there was an empty cabin, asked the Dive Director after we had left the harbour if I could have it at a subsidised supplement. We settled for $100, for which he did give me a receipt and so I presume it was official. His explanation was that the supplement would pay for the additional work the crew had to do to clean and make-up my room. Of course, my erstwhile roommate, now finding himself alone in a cabin, did not have to pay anything.

My buddy on the T & C Aggressor, an American woman with initials SR, had a full supplement paid room for herself and she told me that she always did that. On one occasion though (I cannot recall which boat & where - could have been Palau), the crew and staff apparently requested her if she could accommodate a last minute arrival, another solo female diver; SR had the option to refuse but the deal was that her supplement would be refunded if she agreed. She did.

Last edited:
So looks like it's really hit and miss to get a cabin all to oneself without paying a supplement or the equivalent for a single cabin if any exist among the fleets that service the GBR

---------- Post added December 6th, 2014 at 07:21 PM ----------

Does anyone know any liveaboards based in the Cairns area that do have single cabins available?

I have been on liveaboards on the Great Barrier Reef twice, separated by 13 years. In each case, my wife and I signed up well in advance, paying full freight for our rooms. In each case, other people signed up at the last minute, including the day of the departure. In those cases, those people got significant discounts. The company was willing to do almost anything to fill a spot and make a little bit of profit--anything was better than an empty cabin.

It was similar to the time my wife and I went to the airport in Sedona, Arizona because it afforded the best view of the area. While we were there, someone came and asked us if we were interested in taking the last two seats in a four seat helicopter for a tour. No, thanks, we said. We had seen the rates, and they were far too steep for our budget. They told us another couple had already signed up, so the helicopter was going anyway. We could go at a fraction of the normal cost if we wanted. They just hinted that in exchange, we should not tell the couple who were paying full fare. It was a great tour, especially at the price we paid.

Reactions: Jax
Hi, there is avast difference between diving in the reef mike ball/SOF take you to and diving the reef where other day based or other liveaboards go (unless Taka is back up the ribbon reefs). I don't know the circumstances of why you require a single cabin but just make sure that you are wiling to sacrifice superb diving for what I consider just ok diving, for it.

if you decide to just do day trips there's wat better places on the east coast for that than the barrier reef day trip options. Way better!

None of the live aboads here in Cairns have single cabins as its just not economical. They try to put people in individual cabins so they can have their own, but its not realistic at this time of year. Maybe in low season you would she abetter chance.

Twin cabins are the best option, but you should expect to pay for both berths if you want it to yourself. Same as on flights or any situation where they sell space.

This won't help here and now but the new Blue Manta boat being built now is planning to operate in Komodo, Raja Ampat and the Banda Sea. It will only be operational in October, 2015. The boat is spacious enough to offer single rooms at only a 10% premium. Just something to keep in mind one day.

(full disclosure: I teach for White Manta, the company building the Blue Manta)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom