GBR Advice on location pls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kg001

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi I'm traveling to Queensland in early April. Please can you advise on where best to be located for good, quiet diving that's not too remote

Thanks K
:blinking:

Since no one else has replied, Cairns is the hub of GBR diving. I would strongly recommend a liveaboard to see the best of the GBR. Mike Ball are very good (and expensive!), but there other operators. More generally, I'm not sure that "quiet diving" and "not too remote" go hand-in-hand.

Thanks Andrew I'll check out some liveaboards

Agree with Andrew that Cairns (and perhaps Townsville) is the main center for GBR diving. I have taken two dive groups down under and was generally disappointed in the condition of the reef as frequented by the "day" boats, but the liveaboard experience is highly recommended!! My groups did 7 days in the Coral Sea with Mike Ball and it was an excellent experience both times!

Remote is not that easy unless you go for some of the Islands as suggested above. Heron, or Lady Elliott are pretty good.

Liveaboards offer a great option and I would look at Mike Ball, Spirit of Freedom or Taka as the best as these visit the Far North and more remote locations.

Heron Island is also good diving and not too crowded.

I'm just back from (my second) liveaboard trip on spirit of freedom. Highly recommend them for gbr trip. Fantastic diving, great boat and awesome crew. Not cheap, but worth it.

If you're staying in SE Queensland Byron Bay has lovely diving, about two hours drive south of Brisbane. Ten minute boat trip from the shore and lots of creatures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom