Diving down under

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

freename

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well... I'm excited. Yesterday, I booked a trip to Australia. I've never been - and now I'm going for quite an extended visit! The plan: March, and about a week or two of April!

Of course, I want to dive a bit when I'm there. I'll be bringing some of my gear, but not a lot because I intend to be in backpacking mode. So... regs, dive comp, perhaps my BP/W. No weights, no tanks, etc. because that would be madness. I'm reserving my madness for other things. And as of yet, I have no warm weather exposure protection, so that's not even an option.

I started out with the simple goal of diving the Great Barrier Reef. You know, while it still exists. (Okay, that and raise an army of kangaroos to take over the... errr... no, I've said too much.) I've been told that Byron Bay is actually a way better dive though, so that's been added to my list. That said, my reason for this post...

1. Are there any other must-dive sites? (Or places I shouldn't miss in AU, I don't mind travel advice in any form! I was going to work my way up the east coast... but I have been told that the west coast is a lot more "natural" if I'm looking for that sort of thing...)
  2. ... are there any Australian divers out there who're willing to take a (ahem... relatively inexperienced) Canadian out and show him the waters? (I hear that you're literally surrounded on ALL SIDES with the liquid! :D)
  3. Ehm... are there any rules, regulations, restrictions, laws, etc. that I should be aware of that may impact this plan? Should I be planning to book my dives well in advance so that I can actually make them? Have I planned my trip for an incredibly ill-advised time period such that I'm going to be entirely unable to dive because of, I don't know, Armageddon-style waves or sharknado breeding season? (Yes, I am fully aware of how ignorant that comment was... but it was also a lot of fun to make!)
  4. ... is there anything else I'm missing? Questions I should be asking?

As always, I'm looking forward to your feedback!

If you're not averse to cold water (Toronto, duh), the Sydney Heads are great. It's a short boat ride out from Manly. I think this link is the local shop I used once for a spur-of-the-moment dive weekend. Great service.

And I've been told by a filmmaker that the West coast is indeed spectacular and pristine. Haven't dived it myself.

-Bryan

You're going to have an amazing trip, Australia really is a fantastic destination. Sadly, I think the GBR has had its day. To see the best of it (and better spots), I would recommend a liveaboard out of Cairns. I've done two trips with Mike Ball and both were very good. Be warned though, the trips are very expensive as is Australia as a whole.

I live on the Gold Coast (about an hour north of Byron) and agree that Julian Rocks is an awesome dive. That time of year should see leopard sharks and manta rays! Highly recommend going out with Blue Bay Divers who actually run out of Brunswick Heads just north of Byron Bay because they stay out there for the surface interval, where as the shops in byron come back in, change gear over then go back out wasting a few hours.

If you are going to be up north, also look at doing the Yongala, and then work your way down to Wolf Rock for some Grey Nurse shark action :)

On the wild west coast try and get up to Ningaloo for Mantas, Whale Sharks, Dugongs and Turtle hatching season. If you like cold water, dip yourself in the southern ocean down around Albany and Esperance - theres only about 2000km distance between the two areas :D - I personally prefer Ningaloo to GBR - less tourists, less infrastructure, less divers and the reef is in far better condition. Theres also Rowley Shoals at certain times of the year which is one helluva drift dive experience and very remote.

In my home town Sydney (assuming that is where you are starting), Shelly Beach at Manly is a very simple, shallow shore dive where you will see Blue Groper, Wobbygong sharks stingrays and possibly cuttlefish or octopus. A great way to settle in. If you are there in March-April you might also see the juvenile Dusky Whaler sharks that are around from late January until about that time. The other good dive for tourists is Magic Point, which is a grey nurse shark colony near Maroubra. I dive these regularly with Pro Dive Manly and have no complaints, but there are lots of options. Bare Island is another pleasant shore dive, so long as you don't mind trudging over rocks in gear. At that time of year the water would be 21-24 degrees centigrade. Just north of Sydney you could dive the wreck of the ex-HMAS Adelaide at Terrigal. People speak very highly of Fish Rock Cave dive at South West Rocks, which is about 5 hours north of Sydney and again gives the chance to dive with grey nurse sharks. Julian Rocks at Byron is very nice and by that stage you are up into QLD and on your way to Cairns presumably to dive the reef. On the way there is diving on the Gold Coast and I am going to have my first go of it next week!

Absolutely try to dive the SS Yongala (ex Townsville or Alva Beach). Some people describe it as one of the best dives in the world, though that can be very dependent on the variable conditions.

Ningaloo Reef is supposed to be fantastic (I haven't been there yet but it's on my list). Go snorkeling with whale sharks (the season should be starting towards the end of your stay) and dive Navy Pier at Exmouth (one of the best pier dives in the world).

I can also recommend (for new divers) a trip on the Reef Encounter liveaboard out of Cairns. The dive sites it takes you to are heavily dived with a lot of tourist traffic and so it's not ideal for experienced divers looking for something special. But for new divers, the boat is fantastic and the sites are easy and accessible. The reef is a bit battered but there are heaps of colourful tropical fish and reef sharks. The accommodation and service on the boat is top notch with private ensuites for all rooms, good dining facilities, lounge area, etc. And best of all, this liveaboard is surprisingly cheap.

I live on the Gold Coast (about an hour north of Byron) and agree that Julian Rocks is an awesome dive. That time of year should see leopard sharks and manta rays! Highly recommend going out with Blue Bay Divers who actually run out of Brunswick Heads just north of Byron Bay because they stay out there for the surface interval, where as the shops in byron come back in, change gear over then go back out wasting a few hours.

If you are going to be up north, also look at doing the Yongala, and then work your way down to Wolf Rock for some Grey Nurse shark action :)
ill second this post. Really great diving with Blue Bay --If I had to pick I'd actually skip GBR and dive with them there.
-A lil plug-Jump the ditch to where the worlds best football team are based and dive the poor knights. Its just fantatic diving

Sydney is a very under-appreciated dive destination. There are heaps of shore dives here and some pretty amazing and unusual critters if you know where to look.

If I am available (not working) I may be able to meet up with you for a dive. You know... one displaced North-Western Canadian to another Canuck. I have a lot of family around your neck of the woods. :)

When are you in Sydney?

I have to agree with Steyr about the Yongala and the trip out of Ayr is definitely the best one.

I can only really speak fro Cairns and there are a lot of posts about trips out of here.

The best of the Reef is seen by taking the trips that travel far north to the Ribbon Reefs. So as already mentioned Mike Ball, Spirit of Freedom and Taka which is a budget version as it motors up and back, whilst the other 2 fly you one way and motor back.

Amazing diving in the Ribbons. if the budget is too high on those trips there are plenty of over night or day trips that leave daily to the Outer Reef.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom