Liveaboard Queensland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am planning a trip to Brisbane in September and would like to dive some of the GBR while I'm there. I've been looking at liveaboards that go out from Cairns, but I'm really battling to find useful reviews and advice about them.

It seems like Cairns is a good place to depart from, but I'm open to ideas. I'm on a tight budget so it doesn't look like I'll be able to go on one of the really nice ones like Mike Ball Expeditions. From what I've read, it's better to choose one that only allows certified divers, and less passengers.

I'd like to do a 2 or 3 night trip, and quieter places would be preferred (I hate crowds). I've been looking at these:
-Ocean Quest (Deep Sea Divers Den)
-Cairns Dive Centre
-Pro Dive Cairns
-Coral Sea Dreaming (which looks amazing, but pricey)

Does anyone have experience with any of these? Or can you recommend another liveaboard in that area? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I have very little information about GBR and researching it has been a bit overwhelming. Any starting point would be helpful.

Thank you!

There is a wealth of information on these forums about the above trips and most are summarized off site here.

If you can do the trips that visit the Ribbon Reef areas (Mike Ball, Spirit of Freedom or Taka) then they visit the best spots.

MB and SOF fly you one way and motor back so are a bit more pricey but top service on both trips. Excellent sites and vessels. Taka motors up and back so is a more budget option.

The Outer Reef trips are closer to Cairns and are more suitable for easy diving, students and snorkelers. However they do provide a decent variety of sites and suit most tastes. Prices include equipment.

Ocean Quest is probably the most luxurious and stays on the Reef with Sea Quest acting as a daily transfer vessel. She moves around to different sites. Kangaroo Explorer is similar but a more budget backpacker option. Good sites but smaller cabins space. This should not put you off as they offer good deals and right now you can get 3 day 2 night trip for the cost of a 2 day 1 night trip.

Scubapro departs and returns after 3 days.

Coral Sea Dreaming is a great trip but mot promarily for diving. Its more of a sailing trip and diving is extra once on board. Not many dives on offer. So if its mainly diving experiences you want probably not the trip you want.

Check Trip Advisor or search these forums for some info on the above though. Mike Ball and Spirit would be my pick. Next would be Taka, and if the schedules did not suit then look at Ocean Quest then Scubapro.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom