Coral Sea weather and sea sickness in April

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hmoffatt

Contributor
Reaction score
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
# of dives
100 - 199
My better half and I are considering a trip out to the Coral Sea ex-Cairns with either Mike Ball (Spoilsport) or Spirit of Freedom at easter, which is the first weekend in April this year. We're both a bit prone to seasickness and are slightly worried about spoiling the work. Personally I had a week diving from a liveaboard at Galapagos (including the far north islands) without issue, and I guess the crossing wouldn't be any worse than that.

We're also worried that it's only just after the end of the cyclone / wet season and the risk of bad weather might still be too high.

Does anyone have any experience to offer on these two points?

Somewhere we read online that the Spoilsport catamaran is more stable than the mono-hull Spirit of Freedom, which we might take into account when booking.

Thanks, Hamish.

I don't get seasick but I don that trip on the way out. Or I did. The other times I've done it since I've taken a sea sickness tablet for the way out and had no worries.

no problems out there or coming back in. Just the crossing out. Take a tablet and you'll be fine.

i would think april should be ok. It is rare to cancel a crossing. And if they do the ribbon reefs are awesome anyway!!

Both vessels are pretty good with Mike Ball and Spirit. Catamarans tend to "corkscrew" in heavy seas rather than "roll" or move up and down.

When they moor up they have the shelter of the Reef but its when they travel in between the reefs it can get a lot of swell.

Kwells are a good brand of sea sickness tablet that you can take as soon as you get on the bat even if it's calm. That way you are prepared. t least with those 2 trips you fly one way so travel is minimized.

Very hard to predict the weather at this time of year though. We do post out Reef reports now and then and right now its about 15knots 1m swells and bloody beautiful :D

Took the spoilsport to the Coral Sea a few years ago in August. The trip out was Ok. The trip back was brutal. Get the scopolamine patch and you'll survive. The reef will shelter you while there. Several people were sea sick on the trip, but no one with the patch got sick.

My better half and I are considering a trip out to the Coral Sea ex-Cairns with either Mike Ball (Spoilsport) or Spirit of Freedom at easter, which is the first weekend in April this year. We're both a bit prone to seasickness and are slightly worried about spoiling the work. Personally I had a week diving from a liveaboard at Galapagos (including the far north islands) without issue, and I guess the crossing wouldn't be any worse than that.

We're also worried that it's only just after the end of the cyclone / wet season and the risk of bad weather might still be too high.

Does anyone have any experience to offer on these two points?

Somewhere we read online that the Spoilsport catamaran is more stable than the mono-hull Spirit of Freedom, which we might take into account when booking.

Thanks, Hamish.

We did the seven-day Spirit of Freedom Coral Sea trip in May 2006. The trip was calm & uneventful, but YMMV. :wink:

Since the vessel steel hulled and 122' long, x 24' wide, she is very stable in the water. You won't really be experiencing a lot of rock n roll at anchor or under weigh.

Nevertheless, it never hurts to take along anti-nausea pills. Just be aware that they're best taken about 1/2 hr BEFORE you actually begin experiencing symptoms.

Meanwhile, a picture of me & one of the "little potato cods" near Cod Hole. Picture-056LR2.jpg

late response I know... but I'm sure others will read this.

I can tell you it does move about a lot in heavy seas. I'm not prone to sea sickness at all but I was that trip. the steel hull gives it a different feel than I'm used to on lighter sailing boats.

I've also been on MB in heavy seas (i was in the el'cheapo room right up the front) and a few occasions touched the roof from my top bunk. the movements are far more lateral on MB with very little roll. Perhaps since we were heading south we were sailing straight into the sea, but it felt more comfortable, just more movement up/down...

MB is the "nicer" boat as well.

Back
Top Bottom