Cairns - liveaboards and diving in Melbourne

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cuube

New
Reaction score
First of all I want to say "hello" for everyone. :)

In the middle of November I am flying to Melbourne. One day in Melbourne I want to reserve for diving and in this case I will be grateful for any informations about good divecenters and underwater locations there. It might be wrecks or reefs. :)
Ok, in the next step of my trip I am going to fly to Cairns and spend 4 days / 3 nights liveaboards. So, tell me which divecenters in Cairns are good and noteworthy. Of course the divecenters migth be located near Cairns, but I want to spend 4 days on the boat, diving on Great Barrier Reef. :) The one of the main things for me is best value for money. :)
So, I will be very grateful for any informations. :)

I have got TDI Advanced Nitrox Diver, but I won't make any technical dive in Australia, just recreations. :)

Thanks a lot and regards,
Kuba

Melbourne has ALOT to offer. I'd recommend checking out what dive victoria has to offer on the day you're wanting to go diving, however It really depends what you're looking for. There are several wrecks out there and reef dives varying from shallow/snorkel spots to deeper dives that can all be accommodated for in a day trip.

tldr; check out these guys Local Schedule

Hi,

Thanks for replying.
Ok, after 1st of April the price for 4 days liveaboard on TAK increase, and cost about 1500 AUD. So now, the cost difference between Taka and Spirit of Freedom isn't much.
I am wondering about Ocean Quest or 3 days liveaboard on Taka... What do you think, what choose will be the best? The main things for me are the diveplaces. :)
The total cost for 4 days liveaboard on Taka including dive equipment and nitrox is $1850.
The total cost for 4 days liveaboard on Spirit of Freedom including dive equipment and nitrox is $2280.
The total cost for 4 days liveaboard on Ocean Quest including dive equipment is $875.
The total cost for 3 days liveaboard on Taka including dive equipment is about 886 USD.

I will be grateful for any informations about difference between dive places on Taka and Ocean Quest... It is a much different? And I will be grateful for any others informations as well. :) Thanks

Just make sure its a trip that goes to Northern Ribbon Reefs/Osprey Reef. Ocean Quest won't take you to those areas. That advice is based on you saying the main thing is the dive places in above post. Its a world of difference in comparison to the outer reefs.

The Ribbon Reef areas are definitely the best of thetrips so look to do these if your dates and time frame allows.

Cairns - Taka does have its increase from April 1st and after June 1st it alsoruns a Tuesday trip to the Ribbon Reefs and the Outer Reefs. The Friday trip goesfarther north so would be the better one. The Tuesday (3 day one and 3 nights)is a budget version and still great sites. Best of both worlds.

Spirit of Freedom and Mike Ball are more luxurious and fly you one way and motor back(Taka motors up and back) so if you wanted the Friday trip then go for MB orSOF.

If you cannot stretch to that budget look at the Outer Reef trips like OceanQuest, Scubapro or the budget version - Kangaroo Explorer.

I've done both the 3 day and the 4 day trips on the Spirit of Freedom and highly recommend them. Awesome boat and even better crew. Not to mention the food - better than most restaurants. The 4 day trip which goes to Osprey is more spectacular.
It's not cheap, but totally worth the money IMHO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom