GBR Liveaboards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NJScubaDoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm in the early stages of planning a trip (my first) to Australia in 2016. I've got 2-3 weeks and want to (of course) dive the Great Barrier Reef. Anyone have any suggestions for Liveaboards? Something in the 7-10 day trip range would be ideal. The operator also needs to have full support for re-breathers. Thanks!

If you are looking or the GRB then Cairns is the main place for live aboard trips. There are many to chose from and the trips that visit the Ribbon Reef areas are the best with departures twice weekly (Monday and Thursdays). Look at Mike Ball, Spirit of Freedom and Taka.

No live aboard trips out of here support re-breathers. Nitrox is as far as you will get for Tec and its 32 or 36% mix.

Mike Ball and Spirit offer 7 days trips. The Monday trip goes to the Cod Hole and motors down and the Thursday also goes out to the Coral Sea for a day (Osprey) so you can do the shorter trip or combine them.

Lots of Outer Reef trips which are closer to Cairns itself and are generally 2 or 3 days trips.

I recently had some divers on the Spirit of Freedom and they like the charter. I have asked them about rebreathers. As noted above Mike Ball does offer rebreather support. Remember, the caveat is you need a dive buddy as solo diving is restricted. Without a buddy, some of the benefits may be lost.

Not entirely accurate. I've been on Mike Ball trips that have had people solo diving. However - you must have the solo diver certification, and have a chat with the on-board instructor about your experience before they'll let you do it. That being said, that was just with a standard setup with the diver carrying a pony bottle as backup. Not sure whether they'd allow it for a rebreather. Email/call them and ask, it's not out of the realms of possibility.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom