Dive Resort Recommendations for Great Barrier Reef (GBR)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hydroknot

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife, daughter and I want to dive the GBR this coming July. Looking for dive resort recommendations. 3-4 Star accommodations. Transit times to dive sites less than 30 minutes. Dive op located on resort property. Maybe an island with simple transfers to/from mainland.
Easy diving ... deep dives, strong currents not required. Thanks.:luxhello:​

A few posts here about various islands like Heron, Lady Musgrave, etc.

Also if you are going up to the far north like Cairns consider a 2 or 3 day liveaboard as it actually works out more cost effective and you are in the GBR proper that far north and this is where the majority of boats sail from.

I would do Heron island or lady Elliott. Both have great free snorkelling and marvellous bird life. Heron island has the heron bommie which is great and lady Elliott has resident mantas in winter.

Agreed. Based on your criteria of a <30 minute trip to the dive sites, and having the dive op within the resort, you'll be better off on one of the southern GBR Islands like Heron or Lady Elliot. There is some fantastic diving up north around Cairns and Port Douglas, but the dive sites are much further offshore, and you'll be on a generic day trip boat from the corresponding marina, none of them are dedicated resort dive ops. The kind of "dive resorts" you refer to aren't really a thing on the GBR, because the dive sites are too far away.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom