Live Aboard Decision

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doug.Fitz

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello Everyone,

I am wanting to go on a live aboard on the 18 or 19th of June and would love some input on where and what dive company to go with. I am in Townsville and have gone on two here and one in Cairns but after my last one in Cairns I feel some additional input would be nice before setting it in stone. I was thinking about Coral Sea and Cod hole but some other live aboards I was contemplating about was the minke whale and Ribbon reefs. Any insight into what live aboard is great would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance for the tips and info,
Doug

I think you'll find that the liveaboards are almost fully booked out for the minke whale season already - a couple of friends at work had also been looking into it last weekend. You might find a last minute cancellation if you're lucky, but I think Taka is now the only boat which has any availability during minke whale season (until early July), so your dates would need to be very flexible. Those trips sell out well in advance (sometimes 6-9 months early)! Personally I'd recommend Mike Ball, but I think you'll have problems with availability at this point. You should be considering booking now for the minke whale trips next year.

I book divers on the Spirit of Freedom and have had nothing but good reports.

Mike Ball and Spirit of Freedom are the nicer options. Taka is a more budget option, and won't take you out to Osprey (Coral Sea). However, like I said, you've left it a bit late to book anything for minke whale season this year unless there's a last minute cancellation. Call them up and get on a waitlist. If you're in Townsville (I am too), you can get yourself to Cairns on short notice :)

WetPup is correct. Mike Ball is booked until the end of July and Spirit pretty much the same. With Minke season these trips gets booked out months in advance.

Taka has started doing 2 trips a week from 1st June (Tuesday and Fridays now),but its the Friday trip that does the Cod Hole and again is booked out for most of June. The Tuesday trip does the southern Ribbon Reefs (so good dive sites and good chance of Minkes) plus Outer Reef trips. Its probably the best option you have for the dates you want unless you do the daily Outer Ref trips.

Townsville only has Adrenaline Dive who do offer over nigh trips but are very sporadic and will only go with minimum numbers.

Spirit of freedom is excellent. Done two trips with them, both perfect. Lovely boat and even better crew

I can concur- SOF is the go!
Kaz does superb food onboard- incredible variety of meals and the crew are super helpful, almost embarrassingly- they put your fins on for you! Also I prefer the big long mono hull to a cat it has more roll, less bang then a catamaran, find sleeping is easier.

Hi again and sorry about not posting sooner,

I am extremely grateful and thankful for the input I was given thus far. Ever since I have posted last, I have looked into the availability of the liveaboards and there are still some spaces available. The issue I really face is it worth while to go on a liveaboard to the Coral Sea and Cod Hole, if much cheaper alternatives are available in Townsville. So, the new question I would like to ask some advice on is are these dives are an absolute must and cannot be missed, are they similar to other dives? Thanks again everyone!

Osprey Reef makes the Coral Sea trip worth the money. Ribbon Reefs/Cod Hole are fun, but not really that much different to getting out on Adrenalin's (or the JCU Dive Club if you're affiliated with the uni) liveaboard out of Townsville. If you've got the money, and Spirit of Freedom or Mike Ball have the availability, I'd strongly recommend doing the Coral Sea itinerary and diving Osprey. They'll pass back through the Cod Hole on the way back anyway. The reef off Townsville isn't bad, but compared to Osprey? Do Osprey :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom