Where to dive north coast NSW and south Queensland?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oreocookie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey guys,
I'm making my way up the east coast on my way to Cairns and looking for recommendations for where I should try to get in a dive or 2. Obviously diving at every stop would be nice but not feasible. I'm currently in Port Macquarie, rough plans are to stop in Coffs Harbour, Byron Bay and Gold Coast area before stopping in Brisbane, but I'm flexible.
Specific dive op recommendations would be appreciated too.
Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I second South West Rocks and Byron Bay. Either dive shop at both destinations are great! The diving is well worth it.

Thanks. I'll look into both

Check out the FB group Scuba Dive Sydney. A number of folks go up to South west rocks. I met some great people whom I dove with around Sydney when I was there on business and went up with a few up them to SWR. They'll probably refer you to SWR and Fish Rock Dive Center (the owner, John, is a great guy).

We went out recently with Byron Bay Dive, enjoyed it thoroughly. They are mainly geared to tourist divers though, didn't really have an area set aside for clients who brought their own kit for a couple of days diving. The 50 minute limit on dives didn't worry us - water temp of 20*C meant that was plenty long enough for me!

Wreck of HMAS Brisbane at Mooloolabah is worth doing, Sunreef are a good outfit there.

Hi

Around the Brisbane area there are plenty of whales and Grey Nurse, and the occasional GWP...

Juilian Rocks - Byron Bay is a great dive I would go with Blue Bay they run a bigger boat than Sundive/Byron Bay Dive centre, and you stay out for a double dive. Welcome to Blue Bay Divers - Byron Bay's Most Comfortable Dive and Snorkel Boat Very relaxed professional operation (and I do no and have used Sundive and Byron Bay dive centre)
Given the time of year you may see may there may be Gray Nurse sharks.

Flat Rock and Manta Bommie - Point Lookout Stradbroke Island (off Brisbane) Manta Lodge and Scuba Centre : Stradbroke Island :: Learn to Dive - Online Open Water Course
Given the time of year you should see Gray Nurse sharks off Flat Rock.

Flinders Reef - off Brisbane there are a number of local operators that dive here (I haven't used than as I have my own boat for this dive) typically on weekends. Go Dive run Fridays Scuba Dive Brisbane | Go Dive Brisbane | Learn To Scuba Dive | PADI Dive Shop and are a good shop. Go Dive may also run to some more remote sites that are not dived a lot. https://www.google.com.au/search?q=f...ef+moreton+bay
Should see good coral, lots of fish and turtles.

Cherubs/Henderson/China Wall off the east side of Moreton Island. These are great dives 20-30m rocky reefs likely Gray Nurse and interesting topography. Limited commercial diving as most operators do not go here. Go Dive may run a trip if conditions are right.

South West Rocks is a spectacular dive Fish Rock Cave Fish Rock Cave - Dive Fish Rock with the South West Rocks Dive Centre Australia.
Probably see Gray Nurse possible hammer head sharks.

At Sunshine Coast (Mooloolaba) just north of Brisbane, if you feel like a wreck dive (sunk navy ship), on the ex-HMAS Brisbane. I have dived with Sun Reef a few times they were good http://www.sunreef.com.au/dive-the-e...ne-wreck-dive/ there is also http://scubaworld.com.au/dive-sites/dive-hmas-brisbane/ also a good operator.

Great coral can be found at Heron island. There is accommodation on the island. http://diveadventures.com.au/pages/d...alia/heron.htm. I have dived this reef system but only from a 70foot yacht that no longer operates in the area.

Just dove 2 days with South West Rocks Dive Centre... that was definitely a winner. I'm going to have to go back there if i get a chance.

Lady Elliott Island is a great option as well. Resident Mantas, Turtles keep getting in the way of your shots. It is also a Bird Santuary. They have resident Marine Biologists and speakers at the Education Centre. Usually some Study or other going on.

Back
Top Bottom