Port Douglas/Cairns/GBR in October

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnnyRock

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Need advice on what to do for upcoming trip Oct/1-14/2015 to Palm Cove Australia. My step son has been living/working in Australia for about a year--Me, wife, and two kids are going to visit him and girlfriend for two weeks. Stepson and girlfriend are newly certified divers.

Thinking of chartering a boat from ABCScuba out of Port Douglas for one or two day trips. Reasoning is to accommodate 4 divers and 2 young snorkelers. And to avoid the big boats. And to get personal attention. And I think live aboard with 6 and 8 year-old not in the cards. Wondering if extra money for charter is worth it.

Seems like big boats advertise about $300-$400 per day when renting equipment. Charter for 6 is listed at $3,000 including everything. I'm thinking 4 divers would dive and snorkel.

Other option might be to separate the dive trips from the snorkel trips and have one adult stay with kids while other three adults dive together.

What are weather and seas typically like that time of year?

Any and all advice appreciated.

October is a beautiful month to be up here. no humidity yet, few months before the rainy season and the sea is usually like glass.

Here is some info on weather and diving temperatures

Palm Cove is mid-way between Port Douglas and Cairns. Cairns being where the bulk of the reef trips leave from.

Day trips from Port are limited but you do get Poseidon which visits Agincourt reef which his very nice and caters for all levels of diver. Or Silversonic.

Cairns has a lot more day trips on offer but most of the trips do have around 40 passengers on board. There are some smaller ones but these are generally slower boats that go to the Inner reef where the snorkeling is OK but diving is shallow and a little limited. e.g. Reef Day Tripper which is a great trip and has low numbers

Out of Cairns there is Reef Magic which caters for families. It goes to a pontoon so the kids can run around and have safe swimming / snorkeling areas with life guards, and the diving is pretty good too.

Thanks for the reply and the information. At the Palm Cove resort we're staying at--they're recommending going out of Port Douglas. Reasons they cite are water conditions and (I think) the beautiful drive up there.Anybody have anymore thoughts/advice/suggestions?Thanks in advance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom