SD Volunteering around Sydney, NSW area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nel636

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys,

Im new to sydney and I am currently seeking employment but theres not many opportunities for my line of work around at the moment. So i thought i'd check to see if anyone has any good links or knows anyone who can help with volunteering involving diving. I don't mind if its in a dive shop or marine conservation. Anything where i can work in exchange for dives or perhaps dive courses would be fantastic. This would be a view until i get a job in my normal line of work but who knows, if its a fun arrangement and i can continue outside of work then it could be a possibility.

Bit about me, I'm fairly new to diving, I've completed my OW and have around 20 logged dives. Im in my late 20's and a down to earth guy who can get on well with most people.

Thanks in advance!

I work for an employer who hires dive volunteers on a regular basis to assist with various things.

In my experience, volunteer dive work in Australia still requires you to be certified to rescue diver (with at least 100 hours logged diving) level at an absolute minimum in order to meet workplace health and safety standards. And there are so many people with their names on our volunteer register that for all practical purposes, you don't get a look in unless you're a divemaster.

You might be lucky, but I'd suggest getting some more dive experience and upgrading your certifications first :)

Ah damn. Thanks for the info mate. Its much appreciated... Back to the drawing board :)

Hey there is still no harm in checking with a Dive shop near you to see if they can use any of your other skills in a volunteer capacity to work off the cost of your course :idk:

Agreed. If you have sales and marketing experience, you may be able to find work helping out with the retail side of the dive operations.

I think that if this is the direction you want to go, my best suggestion would be to try and find a way to self-fund your certifications up to rescue diver level, and then find a dive shop willing to take you on as part of a dive master internship. Internships at DM level are fairly common, and basically cover the costs of your dive master training while you help out around the place.

We have quite a few excellent dive shops in the Sydney Area if we knew what general area you live we could possible tell you a good option in your area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom