Great barrier reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

acura

New
Reaction score
Hi,I am interested in diving at Great Barrier Reef in early May. Can anyone pls advise me on the following :-

1. Is it a good time to dive around then?
2. Which are the recommended dive operator for overnite liveboard?
3. Is the price offered around Cairns much different from what we see on the internet?
4. Which are the good sites we should not miss?
Tks in advance.

I was there in May of 2003, and it was pretty good. The weather was sunny and the water was warm (2mm shorty). I recommend any of the live-aboards that go up north to the Ribbon Reefs/Cod Hole and to the Coral Sea. Here are a few:

1. Taka
2. Spirit of Freedom
3. Nimrod Explorer
4. Diversity
5. Mike Ball
6. Undersea Explorer

The prices noted on the website are different from what you can get when you're in Cairns. For example, Taka was only $550 AU, almost 50% off of what was advertised online. I hear the Mike Ball trips are much cheaper too. As far as vacancies, all of the live-aboards mentioned had a lot of extra spaces vacant the week I went in May, except Taka was fully booked. Try and avoid the cheaper live-aboards that target backpackers and tourists that just go east. Lots of dead coral and minimal sea life compared to the northern reefs.

Hiya,

Anytime can be great on the GBR, nobody can predict the weather. In terms of prices my feeling is, you get what you pay for. bargains can be had if you are very flexible with your timing and wait until the last minute - but not always, so if it's a holiday your planing with limited time, you should book ahead.

In my opinion the further North you go on the GBR and the further out you go, the better the diving gets. I have however only recently been on Mike Balls Spoilsport out of Townsville and had a fantastic trip.

I have written a trip report on www.underwater.com.au a site where you can also find loads of info on every dive operator in Australia, links to their websites, discounts for underwater.com.au members etc. - go check it out.

Hope this helps.

See you underwater ...

Tim

Thanks for the above info. It seems that I may not have as enjoyable dive afterall after all the hypes I have built up myself. I will probably spend 3 days 2 nites at outer reefs, not exactly sure where there be. Is it really quite a world apart between outer reefs compared to northern reefs? Anywhere within outer reef to get a decent dive scene?
Thanks abaundance.

I just dived there 4 days ago . The weather was crap and as its a tropical area it rains a lot this time.I stayed for 3 days and i didnt see the sun much or at all : ( .

The peak season is kicking in soon and the locals told me that best time to dive is around Oct.

Once under water the viz was great 15m+ but unfortunately not much colour as the sun didnt hit the corals but it was still a good dive (i got seasick on the boat so i was limited to only one dive).

I dived with Tusa and it was 180 AUD including all equipment hire plus lunch . If you have your own equipment is much cheaper (duh!) .

I will revisit the great barrier reef soon so i can experience it better prior leaving Aus .

Mario

Mariov/Anyone,
Oh no! Pray hard is what I can do now. Just a few days away.
Is what you pay only 1 day trip? Seems cheap for liveboard though? Where do you recommend people to scout around for good dive package? Which dive sites besides cod hold and northern reef you recommend? As I do not think they offer 3D/2N to Northern Reef sites, I can only make the most of my trip there.
Cheers!!

I was there in Sept 2002. Live-aboard for 5 days to get my advanced license (which is so easy on those things it's scary). Ribbon Reef is awesome! Make sure you hit it. Mine was with Taka and I signed up on the net before. I forgot what I paid, but I remembered it being a lot cheaper out there.

Check out www.tusadive.com and see the live aboard cruises..

I cant find the prices but i am pretty sure they are somewhere on the site.

There are 100's dive shops in cairns so look for the best deal.

And yes my day trip was 185 AUD including hire/lunch and 2 dives. We left at 8:30 from cairns and cruised to the reef for around 2 hours. Did the first dive had lunch and then cruised for 20 min for the second dive which i didnt do ( seasick big time).

We were back at Cairns around 16:00 .....

Mario

Back
Top Bottom