Coral Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hocky

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi
I just spent 8 days in the Coral Sea (east of Townsville, Queensland Australia) on a Mike Ball Expedition. I know its a long way for you to come, but guys, this dive trip is well worth it.
We were doing up to 5 dives a day for the full 8 days, and the final dive was the amazing "Yongala" wreck, where 122 people died in 1910, when she went up on a reef.
The other dives include wall dropoffs, where ther are 15ft fans, amazing soft corals and cave systems that are breath-taking.
Its a macro photographers dream, and if you are looking for the bigger fish, Hammerheads ,Tigersharks, Reef White-tips, and Manta Rays are also common.
Last but not least the crew are simply outstanding, making the trip an overall 10 on the 10 scale.
If you are coming to Australia, make the effort and spend a week on the Coral Sea.
Hocky

Wow, five dives a day. Sounds like you had a blast. I hope to do some of these far away dives someday. :)

I take it you were on a live-a-board?

Gidday Hocky,
I'm envious.I've been looking at their ads in the local dive mags for the last 15 years and never had a chance to get there.I'm from N.Z. and am considering a trip over there sometime towards the end of the year.What were the costs like?I take it you were on the 'big cat'.You lucky @#%&*#@.!! Let me know.By the way,the Bledisloe Cup 'IS' coming back home this year.Cheers Big Ears.The gasman

The SS Yongala sank in the early hours of 24th March 1911, in the midst of a huge cyclone taking all 121 passengers and crew with her. She didn't run up on a reef, it is most likely she rolled over. Together with the Quetta in the Torres Strait, she ranks as probably the best wreck dive in Australia, certainly for her prolific life.

Back
Top Bottom