Great Barrier Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lisacats

Reaction score
It's been great to read all of these trip reports, suggestions, everything. Can I get your advice on what time of year is the best to see the GBR, visability and low amount of tourists- wise. Or would that be mutually exclusive? Anyway, I want to go when I could see the most fish, not people, hoping to keep cost down.

Thanks!
Lisa

Lisa,

If you read the old posts, then you know many people recommend the live-aboards and the far-north GBR and Coral Sea to the day-trips out of Cains and Port Douglas.

Some travel info says that the monsoon season starts in Jan, but we had pretty rainy weather starting in December (although the weather on the Coral Sea was perfect). See what the experts say about the Oct-Nov timeframe.

Ditto on the December rain - we had a bumpy time 18 months ago in the Whitsundays because of some storms.

lisa,

Best time to see the reef is now!!! Visibility has been the best its been in months, with a very mild monsoon. May, and early June for the last few years has been relatively quiet in and around Cairns and Port Douglas, the peak tourist season starting in July.
Water temp has been around 23C, visibility up to 40m and the stinger and Jelly fish problems that plague the coast over the monsoon is dropping considerrably. Most of the dive boats have seasonal introductory prices, two for one deals and extras to kick them off for the coming season,as they are normally startig with new crews. Other options are to work as a "hosty", which some of the "floating hotel" boats do to lower there overheads, and you get free diving and accommodation, and food for u working on the boat in return...these positions normally run for four to five days. and the crew are experienced and alot of fun. As far as i know work permits are not needed....but shhhhh....don't let it get around. If u want to avoid the crowds, don't even go near the reef from late june - october....every man and his dog is out there.

hope thats some help to u

Davo

Back
Top Bottom