Diving in El Salvador

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sytech

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just returned from a trip to El Salvador where I dove in a volcanic crater called "Ilopango".

Before I proceed any further, let me make a necessary statement about Central America in general and El Salvador in particular:

The average person has a very profound misconception about this part of the world. I have been to Central America over 30 times in the last 12 years and it's my favorite place partly because of it's proximity to the USA, it's climate and the warmth and friendliness of it's citizens. We are all aware that these countries have had their share of political, economic and geologic upheavals but countries like Costa Rica, Panama, El Salvador and others are democracies and have developed or are in the process of developing successful infrastructure for tourism and other development.

People usually ask me about the "crime problem" in these countries and I answer that a tourist who uses ordinary common sense will have no problems and will more likely experience helpfulness and kindness than anything of a negative nature. Obviously, just as one avoids certain parts of Miami, New York and hundreds of other cities throughout the world the same is true in Central America.

I landed in the capital San Salvador last week and stayed at a hotel called the "Hotel Terraza" which is centrally located, a very nice hotel and is reasonably priced. Previousy I'd stayed at the Radisson Plaza which is quite a bit more expensive but located in a much less convenient area so I'll be staying at the Hotel Terraza from now on.

As luck would have it, the dive center I'd contacted before leaving for El Salvador-Oceanica Dive Center was within a few blocks of my hotel so I walked over there to meet the owner, Werner Mena. He and I had communicated for several months prior to my arrival and I was happy to finally meet him in person.

Oceanica Dive Center is not a "dive shop" in the conventional sense of the term. It is a very top of the line and professional operation. Besides being involved with recreational diving Oceanica does commercial work like offloading oil from tankers via underwater pipeline connections and recovery work.

I made arrangements with Werner to dive Lake Ilopango last Saturday the 25th. and it was a very great and fun experience. I will quote from my email to my friends back home:

"Yesterday I joined a dive group here in San Salvador and we went diving at Lago (Lake) Ilopango.

For some background, go to:

http://www.bigblueplanet.com/bbplocationdetail.jsp?LocationID=635

On our first dive we went to about 110 feet but the visibility wasn´t that great with lots of silt that was easily kicked up if you weren´t careful rendering the visibility next to nada. I understand that the visibility is usually much better but recent atmospheric conditions and wind caused the lake to churn up the water. We went to an area where there were coins in the water from over 100 years ago. According to the story there was no national currency at that time and the local coffee farmers made their own coins to be used for trade. One of the local farms had been robbed and while the thieves were being chased they apparently threw the coins in Lake Ilopango. At about a depth of 110 feet there is an area several feet wide where you can see the encrusted coins and you can dislodge them from the rocky bottom. I have one and it looks like a metal washer but I´ll try to clean it when I get home to see if there are markings on it.

On the second dive we went to about 80 feet and found areas where there was hot water coming through cracks in the rocks and boulders which go very deep into the earth because there is still geothermal activity going on there. These areas were visible by the yellow sulpher deposits which were adjacent to the cracks. Both dives were unusual and great great experiences. Oceanica also has diving trips to the west coast (Pacific) of El Salvador but I couldn't make the Sunday morning trip because I had an early flight the next morning. I plan on going back in a few month though."

By the way, El Salvador was the second leg of my trip as I stayed on Caye Caulker in Belize for several days prior. The diving was pretty run of the mill and the "Dive Shop" was your typical foreign dump run by people whose skills and competence were questionable. Moreover, I witnessed and almost got involved in what could have been a tragic occurrence due to the recklessness of the boat operator. That's a story for another time.

]Bottom line: If you want to try something unique in a beautiful country with lovely people I would recommend El Salvador and Oceanica Dive Center.

Information about Oceanica Dive Center is below:

http://www.oceanicacentrodebuceo.com/es/home.html
email- oceanica@salnet.net

Oceanica Dive Center
Calle Circunvalación # 17 B, Colonia Escalón,
San Salvador, El Salvador.
att: Werner Mena

Tel. (503) 2263 6931, (503) 2264 5713

Sy

>Very interesting. Thanks for posting this! Did you see any fish or other aquatic life?

Yes, there were lots of these small grey and black striped fish about 5 or 6 inches in length. There were other small fish. Crabs too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom