Diving and Staying at Sheraton Grand Bahama Island Our Lucaya Resort? Possible?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flyhimd

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I plan to travel "solo" in early- to mid-March, and found a very good rate from DC to the Sheraton Grand Bahama Island Our Lucaya Resort for March ($799, five nites with air). The main purpose of the trip is to finish up the water work for PADI Rescue Diver...which should only be a dive or two from what I hear.

Has anyone heard of this resort? My main concerns are about on-island transportation...the resort is along the north shore, just above Freeport from what I can tell. Any advice or thoughts welcome!

Just returned from a Blackbeard's Cruise & stayed in Port Lucaya coming in/out of GBI. Getting around town is easy and not that expensive with regular taxis and water taxis. Have a great time, miss being there already

The Sheraton is walking distance to one or two of the Islands Dive ops.
Buses take you where you want to go for $1. Cabs are more.

Who are you doing your training with?

As mentioned earlier, the hotel is right in the middle of the action in Port Lucaya with a taxi only needed to go to Freeport. What a shame that you will be doing your rescue course there, as that rescue course is full of dive drills and rescue scenarios that don't allow for much time to enjoy the diving. Hope you have some extra time to do the shark dives, although I hear that the number of sharks that show up has dropped in recent years.

UNEXSO is right across the street from the Sheraton (1-800-992-3483). They do all sorts of diving including cavern and full cave. They also have several instructors on staff and have full rental and retail facilities. Be very careful with some of the operators on the island. Our dive shop has tried several and we now only use UNEXSO for group trips because of their professionalism.

Bluewater Builder:
........[snip]........ Be very careful with some of the operators on the island. Our dive shop has tried several and we now only use UNEXSO for group trips because of their professionalism.

The same reason I dive with Grand Bahama Scuba

I've heard sad stories from other divers about most of the dive ops on Grand Bahama Island, Including UNEXSO.

Back
Top Bottom