Is there any shore diving on New Providence island, Bahamas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

under water

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am thinking of a trip there and would like to do some shore diving if possible in addition to the normal boat dives.
Does anyone know if shore diving is possible without a 1/2 mile swim out to a reef?
Also, if anyone knows anything about Land Shark Divers hotel I would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks

The only place i know of that has coral/reef close to the shore if to the western most end of the isle, Clifton Peir. They are currently developing this area into a sort of park. Security keeps moving me on when i try to dive there.
To the West End of the North coast is Compass Point. If you have a sea kayak of other small boat you can get enough of a view of the immediately surrounding sea to pick the Darker Coral patches. But, they are few and far between, small and very shallow.
With out a boat, you'd be looking for a needle in a hay stack! With one you'd be best snorkelling or paddling the half mile to the drop off where there is lots to see and enjoy!
Worth a mention is that the North coast is VERY busy with everything from Cruise Ships to jet skis! In my experience your inflatable dive flag invites all the merry fools to come and investigate!

I've never stayed at Land Shark, so can't comment first hand. It's supposed to be a bit rough and ready. Orange hill has a better rep, but it's probly more expensive for that. O.H.'s closer to Stuart's though.
Frankly, if you're here for a week or more, you could do worse than grabbing a puddle jumper to Govenor's Harbour ($150). Head to the Atlantic side (East) and throw you self in off Banks Road (the coast sand track) Coral Heads from about 50 yds of shore. Can get a wee bit choppy though.
Hope this helps! if you want up to date prices or pics of Land Shark or Orange Hill, PM me and i'll forward. They're within a couple of miles from here.
Good Luck!

Thanks Dan,
That was very helpful. Somehow the idea of "roughing it" in "the bahamas" seems weird. Sounds like Land Sharks may be a bit too 'basic' for my wife's tastes.
I am looking at the Caymans as well, but always wanted to dive the Bahamas.
I think that couple of weeks of lazy shore diving from a pier on Bonaire last year really spoiled us.

If you're hooked on the idea of the bahamas, to do the dream justice, you might have a look at Riding rock on San Salvador. Nothing short of fantastic!
I'm not that experienced, but having prooved i wasn't a complete loon on the first few boat dives (upon asking about a night dive) Patrick, the Dive Master, suggested taking a tank and walking in off the beach. It sounded spectacular. I didn't get around to it though. Three dives previous during the day? I was all amazed out!!
Having read 'shark wisperer's' account of Andros, i'm aiming there next!

Back
Top Bottom