5mm Pinnacle for December diving in the Bahamas? Yay or Ney?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NigerHadiza

Contributor
Reaction score
Everything is booked (Aqua Cat in early December and a couple of nights on Paradise Island at Comfort Suites with access to Atlantis (pretty sweet deal!).

But now I am looking at buying a 5mm Pennicle wetsuit. I have a 3mm but am really concerned about being cold after even 3 dives, let alone 5 a day. I did my OW in Australia during their winter time and froze in a 5mm which did not fit well at all.

I guess I'd rather let some water in to cool down instead of feeling too cold to dive? Also, I bought a hoodie and hated it. Any advice on the beanies? Love 'em or hate 'em?

Thanks for all of your comments!

I've alway thought 5mm was excessive in that kind of an environment, but my wife usually dives hers in Cozumel. You will need a bit more lead and you may need to work on not overheating on the surface; but you will probably be quite comfortable while UW.

When diving in the winter in the Florida Keys (~same latitude as the Bahamas) I wear a 3 mm jane + 3 mm jacket + hooded vest. So, 9 mm over chest, 3 on arms/legs. Works great. On my first dive trip in Australia, also in their winter, I too froze in a poor-fitting 3 mm rental and this led to my purchase of a suit that fits me. If you were cold in 3 mm in Australia, then I would defintely go with the 5 mm. The December water temp in the Bahamas should be quite similar to winter water temp in Australia (although this will depend on exactly where you were in Oz and what month you were diving).

When I first tried on a vest I was freaked out by how clausterophobic it felt as I struggled into/out of it in the dive shop. I ended up splurging on a hyperstretch hooded vest that was MUCH easier to don and doff. I absolutely LOVE my hooded vest. Keeps me much warmer and also keeps my hair from getting in my face.

Have a great trip!

I use a 5mm and usually get a little cool after several dives. I think you would be smart with the 5mm.

We used 5mm hyperstretch on the Aquacat in January, and felt it was sufficient. That said, we skipped the night dives. Keep in mind though, that you do have access to nice hot showers after every dive :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom