Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
My brother, dad and I are taking a 9 day trip down to Nassau in a couple weeks. I'm worried about weather conditions and would prefer to book closer to our arrival date. I know hurricane season is upon us and I'm woried about getting blown out.
Is it feasable to wait until we get down there to attempt booking dives? Also, any recommendations for charter fishing?
For the next week or so Sahara dust may gobble up convection in the Caribbean reduce the odds. Beyond that we are ramping up in normal frequency. I would think there may be space available with Stuart Cove and Bahamas Divers but I would call in your anticipated time frame to find out. Sorry, have no clue about charter fishing options on NP.
I went to the Bahamas week before last and wasn't able to do much diving due to weather... looked fine to me topside but the winds had picked up causing waves or something to that effect, way too unpredictable this time of the year...
note, that if you go to Freeport there is nothing much else to do there expect get drunk... so if you can't dive you're going to be bored out of your mind!
There will be windy, rainy periods and calm periods intermittently as waves and stronger systems pass through with regular frequency from now through around the end of October in a normal year.
For decades I would have agreed with your conclusion about Freeport but no longer. Was just over there a few weeks ago on a low priced cruise ship/hotel package. Dove with Grand Bahama SCUBA and hit several wrecks, reefs with lots of sharks at some spots. Best part, the blue water viz. was over 125 ft. at one point! All this with a mile or so of the hotel too. There are blue holes if you want to drive out of the area or Bens nearby for that matter, to checkout if you are inclined. More info with a trip report to follow soon at: Free Diving With Sharks At Pygmy Caves, Freeport, Grand Bahama Island - FKA Kiteboarding Forums
Thanks for the input y'all. I just got back a few days ago and am happy to report that we had a solid week of good weather and good visibility on New Providence. We ended up doing two days of diving with Stuart Cove's and, aside from one diver stupidity incident, were generally pleased with the experience. Booking once we arrived was not a problem and the dive boats were not super crowded. The fishing was excellent as well. Props to Blue Hole watersports for excellent service, boat, gear and crew.