Blackbeard Cruises

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scotttyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So I am looking at booking a blackbeard liveaboard in Sept or so (Yes I know, hurricane season).

Anybody been on them? reviews? I had a buddy who has gone on them twice and enjoyed it. I do not need the luxury cruise, just a place to chill out and enjoy some good diving.

Check into their hurricane policies closely, I know of someone who mentioned they had some difficulties getting off of a Blackbeard's cruise with Hurricane Irene blowing in. Never been otherwise, so I can't help you there.

One of my friends went on the Blackbeards trip a couple years ago and enjoyed it. Lots of diving and an overall fun time. The price also helped him decide to go with BBs.

It certainly isn't a luxury cruise but it is a lot of fun. I went about 4 years ago with members of my club and we are going again on the 17th March. Most of those that went last time are going again and those that aren't it is because of other commitments. Some liken it to camping at sea but for me it was a lot better than the typical camping that I do.

Some liken it to camping at sea but for me it was a lot better than the typical camping that I do.

That,s how I would describe it as well and I love camping. I think there is a big difference between going as a group and going as onesies and twosies. I was there a year ago as part of a group (Morning Star) and we had fun while Pirate's Lady's was mainly composed of onesies and twosies and based on comments I got the last night in Nassau, the atmosphere on the latter was quite different.

You do not get much privacy for the entire week (except going to the head...). However, lots of diving, food is good (but no variety like an AI will offer) and you will truely appreciate the full hot shower you will get upon your return at port...lol.

Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy it. However, my next liveaboard will probably be one notch above (like having my own cabin for example). As far as pricing goes, I think it is pretty good but now that I have done it, I would opt for a week long AI holiday at a place like Cozumel where, for the same amount of money, I could do the same number of dives (20 - 21 dives), free nitrox upgrade and a big room to myself with all the amenities.

It is worth doing it

I am assuming the atmosphere is different if you know a group of people vs ones and twosies. That would be expected - I am sure every group is different.

Are you a people person and can let all the "issues" that come up between people slide away? If so, bring an ipod with music you like and prepare to have a great time. The crew is great, the boat has everything you need and nothing you don't and the water is darn near perfect.

If you want to go with your husband/wife/significant other and "be together" this is not the trip for you. There is no privacy and no "away" at all on the boat.

I've been twice and going a third time this summer. Friends I met on the first trip (in the middle of a tropical storm nonetheless) are my same buddies this trip because we had a great time together and know each others habits at this point. I would suggest trip insurance though, I chanced it twice and came out ahead, but last time we got in the day after a hurricane. That was cutting it all WAY too close for comfort, nothing like literally watching the news reports to see where the storm was RIGHT NOW to see if the plane could go to the bahamas. A couple bucks in insurance could help out dramatically in the long run.

As a guy who surfs year round in North Carolina, I'll say that September is probably the worst possible month all year. It is rare in September that there are not at least 2 storms (sometimes 4) active in the Atlantic + Carribean on the same day. If you can push it to even August or October, you will have a MUCH MUCH better chance of not having your trip cancelled or ruined due to a Tropical Storm or Cane.

Surfers on the East Coast and Gulf LOVE LOVE LOVE September. We talk about it year round. We usually scuba dive like crazy in North Carolina all through August, which is 0-3ft waves on average. Once the first swell hits in September, the water clarity is doneskee and swells go to around 3-10ft for 4-6 weeks.

We had a great trip. It was a little windy so we were limited to where we could dive and some of the dives were a little disappointing due to the heavy algae buildup on some of the reefs. That said the crew did a fantastic job and worked very hard to ensure that we had a great time. Thank you Red, Brian, Brandon, Tyler and especially Jess, your cooking was amazing for the limited space that you had to work in, I expect that most of us will be back again sometime in the future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom