nassau bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

El Gordo

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Planning a dive trip this sept. anyone know of a cheap but clean hotel close to a dive shop? I dont need any bells or wistles would rather spend my money on diving!!

In September, there are many options as you are square in hurricane season. If you'd "rather spend money on diving", you have many cost equivalent locations in the Caribbean with better potential for weather and diving. Nassau aint cheap.

There's only 3 options for diving on Nassau since it's all boat diving. All three operators compete - 2 tanks start at about $115 - slightly less if you buy multi-days. The best I've seen is Stuart Coves offer of 4 dives the same day for $160. Everybody charges a little more for specialty (sharks, Blue Hole etc.) dives.

Stuart Coves on the south side. They run a free shuttle since everything else is on the north side. They list package deals on their website. Orange Hill Inn is about the cheapest but it's not in Nassau so you'd likely need/want a car. There may be a bus also. Stuart Cove?s Scuba Diving Bahamas Nassau Dive Vacations Thrilling Shark Adventure Dive - Packages

Bahama Divers is just across the bridge from Paradise Island - location of Atlantis - the expensive mega-resort. http://www.bahamadivers.com/ However there's both a Best Western and a Comfort Suites on P.I. also - since they're not beachfront, they're more affordable. Probably around $150. At one time both operators offered a dive package deal with Comfort Suites. CS also has arrangements with Atlantis so you can use some of their facilities as well - it's about a 2 block walk.

Both operators pick up on Paradise Island - BD's a five minute ride, SC's a 30-40 min. ride from there.

Both Stuart Coves and Bahama Divers also pick up at the hotels on Cable Beach - there's reasonable options there. The Sheraton Nassau is recently refurbished. There's also the Wyndham - it's always?? on the low side. Other less expensive hotel options I know of - but not stayed at - are Nassau Junkanoo Beach, Towne Hotel, Coco Plum - some in less desirable locations. Some parts of Nassau aren't overly safe at night. Junkanoo Beach is old, it was there mid-80's when we cruised there.

Paradise Harbour Club on P.I. is affordable also - not sure why. If I had to guess it's because they're near the golf course away from Atlantis. They're small suites under $100 - that's a deal for that area. It's on a marina - if you get incredibly lucky it's near the marina where Explore keeps their boat - IDK though. If it was, that's about the closest you'll get to "clean hotel close to a dive shop". If not check to see if anyone will pick you up there.

The third dive operator - Explore Scuba - is on Paradise Island. They're fairly new. Home | Explore Scuba Bahamas is the only dive operator located right on Paradise Island, we offer that one of a kind experience.

Expedia seems to list most of the Nassau hotel options, they don't change much.

hth, I moved this thread to the Bahamas sub-forum for better response.

What Doc said ^^. The Bahamas ain't cheap. Wait till you price food...

If you're not set on Nassau maybe consider Freeport also. Bell Channel Inn is an affordable option with their own shop/boat onsite. UNEXSO is similar but slightly higher priced. I think there's other lodging options near UNEXSO - they're in Port Lucaya. The other Cove's operation is out at Old Bahama Bay resort but that's a 45-50 minute drive back to town.

Last edited:
If you want land based diving check out Orange Hill beach inn--it's on the quieter west end of the island but the closest to Stuart Cove's if you dive with them. Free shuttle service, the last place they pick up and the first they drop off, so the ride is only about 20 min vs 45 if you stay in Nassau. It's the best price, and clean but not fancy. Caters to a lot of foreign divers so you'll meet lots of interesting people in the honor system bar. The ocean is right across the street and you can snorkel there and see some old patch reef with some nice juvenile tropicals. I've seen a ray every time I've snorkeled there.

Another thumbs up for Orange Hill. When we stayed there, it was as a group, but the staff was friendly and efficient, food was ok, and the rooms were clean and comfortable. Stuart Cove pickup / drop off was punctual, and I really did get to meet a lot of European tourists in the bar. Not fancy, but comfortable.

Lots of better dive choices, never again.

Dove there two weeks ago had a great time diving with Stuart's Cove. The pickup from Cable Beach was timely, even when calling first thing in the morning for spur of the moment dives. We stayed at Blue Water Resort, ate at several local places, stayed away from PI, had a great dinner at Color Point (looks like a neat dive place to stay). I will have to say, Gary, the dockmaster at Stuart's Cove runs one extremely busy operation and makes it appear seamless...although I'm sure he pulls his hair out on a daily basis. I got in 11 dives my son got in 9, fiancee and step daughter did their referrals with Stuart's Cove, drift type dives on the walls, night dive and shark dives. Big thumbs up to Gary and Stuart for running a class operation.

I stayed at The Towne Hotel in Nassau after my trip on Blackbeards. Good location and the room was fine. Stuart Cove picked up very close to the hotel.

Back
Top Bottom