Aqua Cat - Bahamas Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coldwaterlloyd

Contributor
Reaction score
Aqua Cat
June 22 -29
Water Temp - 79-82 degrees Vis 70-100 feet
I used two suits , full 3mm with beanie , full 5mm with beanie
I participated in all 25 dives offered . A wide variety of dives .
Sharks were the main attraction and I was not disappointed .
Most reefs were in tragic condition being covered with thick algae . Very disappointing .
A lot of Lion Fish everywhere , they get big .

The Aqua Cat is as advertised , A very comfortable dive liveaboard .
For my first liveaboard I was very impressed .

The crew are all great .

Food was very good . Lots of choices at all meals .

At times the seas ( crossings ) were rough . I did take meds for seasick and I did not feel any effects .

All in all I would rate the trip as excellent even with some of the poor reefs . I would not hesitate to go back and dive with Aqua Cat again .
The Shark Feed and the mating Silky Sharks in the Blue Hole were worth the price of admission .
The other divers were a treat to spend a week with , A lifetime of memories from the Bahamas .

Thanks for the report. I am heading out at the end of this month on Blackbeards and am looking forward to it. I was worried the reefs would be in this condition. Very sad about that.

100_0858.jpg We stayed in the unasuming Cabin 11 . Do not try to sit up in the lower bunk ...

Sounds great. Would like to try it someday.

Did you see many sharks on the dives other than a 'shark feeding' dive? Any idea what range of species of shark you saw?

Richard.

We saw a large Blacktip Shark on second dive of the trip , came up from the wall , saw divers , checked us out and then right back down .

They took us to a site called Cracked Reef , this is a site where they do feedings . Even when they are not feeding , the Caribbean Reef Sharks congregate around the site just in case ...

There are dozens from 3-10 feet checking you out your whole dive . It looks so cool !

Most of the reefs were so boring we got them to take us back there 3-4 times just so we could have something to look at . The actual reef there is one of the better sites as well .

The actual shark feed was a lot of fun .
We also saw quite a few at the Wreck of the Austin Smith , another feeding location .
At this site we actually freed a 10 foot Green Moray from a fish trap not 100 feet from the wreck . A sad site indeed with a happy ending . A real Free Willy experience .

I have not seen Sharks other than Nurse Sharks for over 20 years , diving all over the Caribbean . This trip came through with the Sharks , it is sad that we do not see these magnificent beasts on other Islands , it just looks complete to see those guys cruising the reefs .
Too bad that most of the reefs we saw in the Exumas were near dead due to Algae .

We were also very fortunate that the Silky Sharks were doing their mating routine in the Blue Hole . There were hundreds of them around us the whole dive , would make me dizzy in the mid water section of the hole .

Funny thing is , the healthiest reef we saw was the last dive of the trip , 30 feet of water with a very colourful reef , Periwinkle Reef which is just out of Nassau Harbour , It was one of the best dives of the trip and I was expecting it to be totally lame .
This place must get enough current to keep it clean of the invasive Algae which is smothering most of the other reefs .

The Aqua Cat is a great trip . I would not do it again with my dive buddy , we want to see healthier reefs , I would not hesitate to do this trip with my wife , she dives but her expectations are not as high as ours .
If this boat was located in a better dive area I would not do anything else , I have no other liveaboard to compare it to but it would be hard to beat , especially at the price . Very good value .100_0867.jpg

Most of the reefs were so boring we got them to take us back there 3-4 times just so we could have something to look at .

Too bad that most of the reefs we saw in the Exumas were near dead due to Algae .

Funny thing is , the healthiest reef we saw was the last dive of the trip , 30 feet of water with a very colourful reef , Periwinkle Reef which is just out of Nassau Harbour , It was one of the best dives of the trip and I was expecting it to be totally lame .
This place must get enough current to keep it clean of the invasive Algae which is smothering most of the other reefs .
Hope to do a couple dives in Nassau this month. Sounds like a shark feeding dive may be the way to go. Sad to hear about the algae and lion fish in the Bahamas.

Back
Top Bottom