Shark Dive with Stuart Cove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brina

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
If you have done this dive, how deep is the first tank? My two sons, age 13, have Jr Open Water and want to do this dive. We have been very conscientious to not have them exceed the limits of Jr cert (65 feet).

Thanks

Pre-Requisite For Participation - Certified Diver
Does Jr. O/W count? I don't know. You might e-mail Cove's to check.

If you hover on the site listings here: http://www.stuartcove.com/dive_map.aspx?pageId=52# a lot of them indicate both the depth and possibility of seeing sharks. #'s 24 and 34 are the feed sites. Both sites are on top of the wall so the first one should be about 35' and the second less than 50'. A buddy dove other sites - mostly shallower wrecks in that area - and sharks were at each one - likely waiting for the feed.

It's been my experience (not at Cove's but elsewhere) that more natural behavior is seen at sites near shark feeds than at them. Obviously for 13yr. olds the thrill might be the feed. A lot of the Cove's shallower site listings also indicate where sharks are also commonly seen. So if they can't do the feed, ask for one of those sites - the behavior exhibited will be much more realistic also. And you don't have to sit in a circle and hold your hands.

My avatar was shot at one of those. I'm about 5' under that shark. He and about 15 of his buddies (my buddy counted them) passed within the same distance. Later we sat on the sandy bottom and they passed between us. Several times we could've easily touched one - but didn't.

thanks, Steve. I had not realized that about hovering on the sites. The boys are thrilled about this. Hopefully their mother will remember to stay calm and breathe.

Hi there. We did this dive July 19th. From what I understand, they do the feed at two different sites- Shark Arena and Ray of Hope. We did the feed at Shark Arena and it was the 2nd dive - 41 feet- kneeling in the sand. There are large rocks in which you position yourself-knees- around. Definitely add a few extra pounds as well. The first dive, we did right next to Shark Arena was called Runway Wall. I maxed out at 53 feet. The sharks were waiting for us! In fact, I did 16 dives over 4 days and saw sharks on 12 of them! The shark feed is done while all of the divers are in a circle. The sharks get very close to you and may even brush up against you! It's a great experience!

The shark dives are pretty cool, and not deep. My wife and I did one last year, and we were on the Ray of Hope wreck (I logged around 50 ft but i just logged it from memory, i didnt dive with a computer that day). It might not be natural or whatever, but it is cool.

Jeff

I just checked my dive log to see what my maximum depths were on the Stuart Cove shark dive... 72 ft on the first and 37 ft on the second. I don't think you'd have a problem staying above 65 ft though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom