Shark diving in Bahamas question ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Guys and Gals: I have been wanting to photograph sharks in Bahamas. Stuart Cove appears to be the best bet for this purpose but some other people have also said that since there are so many sharks in Bahamas, any extended dive trip there is almost guaranteed to result in some great shark pictures. After that, I was considering Blackbeards instead of Stuart Cove because even though it is not "shark-diving" it is more diving for less money.

Id love to hear from people who have done black Beards. Just how "sharky" was it and whether it would be of interest to someone who is primarily interested in shark photography.

Thanks.

When I went out with them, only (1) dive was a shark dive.

I didn't see any other sharks on the rest of the trip, excepting nurse sharks.

Another option, if you are in VA and want to photograph sharks, is to head down to NC and hit the wrecks there. Much more of a natural environment than those feeding dives, better backdrops and much more photogenic sharks (sand tigers have much better smiles than those on Caribbean reef sharks, IMHO).

NC0511 - 01.jpg
NC0511 - 03.jpg
NC0511 - 08.jpg
NC0511 - 32.jpg

All great suggestions above, however, my favorite is UNEXSO in the Bahamas. Fantastic shark experience, plus, you usually will do the dive with Cristina Zenato. You will meet and dive with an amazing person, and get an education, as well. Not to mention, UNEXSO is a great dive op

Big3.jpg

Attachments

• Big3.jpg
    Big3.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 369
Another option, if you are in VA and want to photograph sharks, is to head down to NC and hit the wrecks there. Much more of a natural environment than those feeding dives, better backdrops and much more photogenic sharks (sand tigers have much better smiles than those on Caribbean reef sharks, IMHO).

View attachment 162696
View attachment 162697
View attachment 162698
View attachment 162699

I dive those waters a lot. Totally agree that the backdrops are very dramatic. I was just looking for an alternative dive destination to NC.

All great suggestions above, however, my favorite is UNEXSO in the Bahamas. Fantastic shark experience, plus, you usually will do the dive with Cristina Zenato. You will meet and dive with an amazing person, and get an education, as well. Not to mention, UNEXSO is a great dive op

+1 to that... Cristina is incredible, she spoke to our club this year.

A different type of shark dive, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. A friend of mine actually took her shark feeding course, and learned how to wear the chain mail!

How often do you actually see sharks on the NC wrecks?

If you go to the several wrecks where sharks hang out (Caribsea, Atlas, Papoose, Spar, etc), 100% of the time. They're almost always sand tigers, sometimes you'll get a sandbar shark here and there. I saw a bull shark once on the Papoose. And if you're really really lucky you may get a chance to see a white shark or even luckier you may see a whale shark, but that is very rare.

If you go to the several wrecks where sharks hang out (Caribsea, Atlas, Papoose, Spar, etc), 100% of the time. They're almost always sand tigers, sometimes you'll get a sandbar shark here and there. I saw a bull shark once on the Papoose. And if you're really really lucky you may get a chance to see a white shark or even luckier you may see a whale shark, but that is very rare.

Awesome!

We've almost always seen sharks in Turks and Caicos - especially around West Caicos and French Cay. At some of the sites they are quite curious and circle around the dive group for the whole dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom