Shore diving around nassau?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mabuna

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Is there anywhere on the island to rent tanks and weights?
Where would be the best shore diving?
If there's no tank rentals where is the best snorkeling?

I don't think there is any shore diving off Nassau, the reef is too far out. I've read of one shallow site off one end of the island that locals know about but IDK where you'd get tanks. The 3 operators on Nassau are Stuart Coves, Bahama Divers or Explore Scuba. You might contact them to see if they'll let tanks off property but I doubt it. To the best of my knowledge those are your only current options.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I don't need a reef or wreck to be happy underwater, I dive in cold murky lakes most of the time so I just want to be underwater. I like shore diving because of the freedom it gives you. I'll be doing some shark dives with Stuart Coves and they didn't even answer my question about renting tanks. I haven't tried the other 2 yet but I'll do a few dives with each. If there's any locals that want to rent out their tanks let me know. I'll be on the island Feb 14 to Feb 22.

There is a spot you can shore dive on the South Side. Drive straight past Stuarts Cove, past the power station a few hundred meters. You will find a gravel cleared area with what looks like a boat ramp cut out of the rock and going into the water. It is in line with the "Bond Wrecks" and Cessna dive sites on the wall. There are patches of coral in the 40ft range in every direction, but it is a long way out to the wall, about 300 meters.
This is where much of the movie "Flipper" was filmed. Stuarts dive facility was actually the movie set.
It is not a great dive site, but the best you will get.

You can also go off the beach in front of Orange Hill hotel, but also not fantastic.

Stuart might rent you tanks and weights if you are diving with him on other days.

WARNING: Nassau is not a safe island. Be very careful going to remote beaches on your own. Be wary of leaving your car unattended at this location.

Last edited:
Thanks Bryan Cunningham
I hope I can get tanks from someone and try the sites you suggest. We'll be on the island in the morning then we'll be on the cat ppalu the next day for 7 days. The following week we'll be diving around the island maybe looking for next years dive trip. If you want updates on our trip please like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/DiverCityScubaInc/ or keep an eye on our website Diver City Scuba
Wayne

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom