Trip Report: BlackBeard’s Cruises 24-30 May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

T.C.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
BLUF: An excellent trip, with an outstanding crew, and a terrific value. I highly recommend this organization.

Background: I was on the vessel MorningStar during the 24-30 May excursion to the Exumas. The crew was Captain Red, Divemaster/Instructor Breezy, Engineer Tim, Chef Clancy, and Deckhand Megan. I was berthed in the forward cabin, in a lower bunk. We did 19 dives (were offered 20, but thumbed one when my buddy had ear problems). The weather was calm, peaceful, and the only rain we experienced occurred during a dive.

So, from the beginning. Before the trip, I spoke to their head office, about a few details of the boat, and requested a 100 cu ft. tank, since we would be doing deeper dives, and I didn’t have my pony tank. While an extra 20 feet of gas doesn’t replace a redundant system, it does provide more gas for emergencies. Judy at their office was friendly, helpful, and very prompt (within 15-20 minutes) of returning my emails. She also arranged the taxi that I requested. If you go on them, I recommend taking their offered taxi. It was ready for us at the airport, safe (as can be expected in Nassau), and courteous and quick. It was also much cheaper than arranging your own transportation.

We were dropped off early, and the crew was still hard at work ensuring the boat was ready for us. This is not a knock on them, but an indication of how hard the crew would work during the week. We were early, and the boat was ready on time for our arrival. This, I would learn, is remarkable, because they only have 27 hours to turn the boat around after a charter. The crew welcomed us aboard, briefed us to remove our gear and set up on our already marked tanks, test our gear, and stow our clothes and other items in our areas. There is not much storage space here. Your bunk is your storage, with a small shelf. Don’t bring a lot of clothes, books, stuff. You won’t need it. Thanks to some previous guests, I was able to pack everything into a small bag that fit under the shelf. The beds are a 4-5 inch foam pad, and sheets, pillow, and blanket are supplied. There is a light and curtain for every bunk, and there are two outlets for every bunk; located in the ceiling. If you have a lower bunk, you have to run the cords to your bunk. No big deal. I found the beds very comfortable, especially after a cup or two of rum punch (served nightly), and a long day of diving. The boat’s motion was gentle, and the sound of the water outside the hull was nice. However, up forward is next to the anchor chain locker, and while not noisy, could disturb a light sleeper during anchoring. Not a big deal, you’ll mostly be awake for this.

Once your stuff is taken care of, they stow your bags on shore so they’re not in your way. The crew takes you to the salon, completes the waivers and paperwork, and you have to opportunity to donate to the island’s chamber fund, and buy a mug. Otherwise, you’re provided a simple cup to drink from for the week; you mark it with your name on tape. You get a name tag to wear the first day too; good for me- I suck with names (Good thing I’m in the Army- where your name is on your uniform). The crew casts off once the paperwork is done, your gear tested and stuff stowed. They are quick to feed you, and this was the norm the entire week. Once lunch is done, the boat briefing commences, where the crew introduces themselves, and how to do the things in their area of supervision (how to be safe at sea, how to use the heads, how to shower with 30 seconds of fresh water and unlimited salt water, how to restrain your dive gear, if you have food allergies, and what the dinner bell means (google Pavlov’s Dogs to see how everyone reacts at the end of the week :D),a whole long list aimed at making sure you and the other guests will have the best possible week. Then the complete dive briefing is given, on how to gear up, entire the water, be safe, and exit safely. Every dive gets a dive briefing, and every briefing is accompanied by a colorful, well drawn map. Breezy was a top-notch artist and provided an excellent site briefing, even giving you a “fish/critter of the dive” to look out for. They were the best site briefings I’ve ever received. I strongly recommend always paying attention, you will learn something every briefing.

We did our first dive site Saturday afternoon to check weights, and this was one of the few times the DM is actually in the water with you- to see just what sort of divers they have that week. We then set off to the Exumas. While these are sailing craft, they are slow with the wind, so during our trip, there was only once a sail was raised; a jib to ease the motion of the ship. There was not enough wind to actually sail with any speed during our trip. The engine is quiet (for the guests, the poor crew has to sleep with it), and there is never an odor of diesel exhaust. During passages to each site, the crew uses the compressor to refill tanks. It is an electric compressor, and the air appears to be taken in from forward of the exhaust and outboard. It was well maintained, and the crew fixed the one problem I saw quickly. I had no worries of the air quality.

Dinner was served a little later. The food is always hot, plentiful, and very, very tasty. I have paid damn good money for food that was not half that good or plentiful. The food was tasty and hot, and each meal included a salad- not just chopped lettuce, but a real salad, an entrée, two sides, and a vegetable dish, and bread and dessert. You are welcome to seconds, but wait until the crew has eaten as well, they wait until you’re done. Drinks are provided, from soda, to water, to drink mixes. Water is available from a tap on the main deck, and any faucet. Drink mixes are in the five gallon jug by the mast (a butt? :D) Alcohol is free, there is wine in bottles in the salon, beer from a tap on the main deck (next to the water), and rum punch (grog? :D) in the jug after the diving is over. The crew is adamant that once you drink alcohol, your diving is over, but this wasn’t an issue with our trip. Snacks are provided between dives, often fresh fruit. There is always fruit and bread and some stuff available in the galley.

There is one shower on board, used by the crew and guests. This wasn’t an issue that I saw. But then again, out of 23 souls on board, only 6 were female. Maybe it would have been more of an issue if the gender ratio was more balanced. Maybe not. The boat makes its own water, but slowly. To ensure there is enough water for drinking and cooking, the crew asks you to limit use to 30 seconds of fresh water. There is a salt water shower in there as well. From much experience in the Army, 30 seconds can be more than enough…for me. For everyone who doesn’t have short hair, the unlimited salt water is useful for cleaning, and then rinse with fresh water. The Captain warns everyone that they monitor water levels daily, if it’s falling too fast, showers will be the first to be cut off. It didn’t happen to us, but I’m sure it has before. There is also a hose from the condensate tank for the AC system. It is not potable, but great for rinsing off after a dive, or taking a quick shower at the end of the day. That is fresh water, and free to use. Use as much as you need; they get more.

The heads are not flushing toilets, they are “Skipper” marine heads (Captain Red doesn’t like to be called skipper for this reason), and manually operated. There are instructions in each head on how to use it, and the crew explains it in the boat briefing. Toilet paper is in plentiful supply, and the heads are very…ahem…capable….units. You just may have to pump the handle a few more times. Tim (the engineer) said that everyone gets used to them by the second day. Our cabin’s head broke the first morning, and Tim immediately repaired it. I’m sure that wasn’t what he wanted to do the first day out, but he did it cheerfully. I didn’t ask where the waste goes, but I don’t think it’s stored on board. Take appropriate precautions when divers are in the water.

We did 19 dives, and were offered 20. My buddy and I wanted to do one, but we were the only two, it was a 2nd night dive, and his ear was not clearing, so we thumbed it. The sites were a mix of walls and reefs, starting with walls in the morning (deeper sites), and reefs in the afternoons and nights, though this can change sometimes). The dive sites are beautiful, well chosen, and fit everyone’s interests. As the crew said, they wouldn’t put you in on sites unless they wanted to dive them too.

The DM is only in the water for the Washing Machine, a high speed drift dive, and the Shark Feed, a great event. The crew is always ready for you when you return, and they all work hard to ensure you have great dives. There are also land excursions offered, a trip to the Exumas, which Breezy guided, and did a fine job of explaining the history and topography of the park. There was also a snorkeling stop, and a chance to feed the lizards. I thought that I’d rather go diving, but the trip to the park, and the well-guided tour, changed my mind.

When the boat isn’t in the Park, and is moving in deep water, the crew encourages you to fish. We hooked three Mahis, but were only able to land one. Red is quite a competent fisher, identifying schools of baitfish, and circling the boat by them to entice fish. We hooked two this way.

The last day, we did the Blue Hole, and then headed in to port. The crew brings your bag once moored, and briefs you on the last day. You have the opportunity to buy souvenir shirts and/or hats then as well. Dinner is served on board, and you can sleep on the boat the last night- no need to get a hotel room. They usually go out to drink that evening as well. I joined them for a little while, but loud music is not my forte, so I went back. Nassau does have a great deal of crime; so don’t wander around alone. The crew does need you off by 9 am on Friday. As I said, they have only 27 hours to get everything done to welcome the next guests on board. They ensure that you have a scheduled ride to the airport (again, your pre-booked ride is a good deal). You can leave your bags there until your ride, and the Starbucks is right across the street.

For the crew. What can I say. These were five of the hardest working people I saw. And to top it off, they were always friendly and cheerful, from Red’s good attitude, to Breezy ending every briefing asking you to (in regards to the fish of the dive), “name them, love them, befriend them”, they all were kind and helpful. All the crew helped with operating the boat, and with diving. From fixing a head on day one to fixing the stove late on day 5, to pulling up huge and heavy mooring lines, Tim was constantly working to ensure the boat was comfortable and safe. Red was almost always around, willing to talk about anything with the guests, and share his knowledge of the islands. He was always patient and cheerful, even with the clumsy guests standing in his line of sight as the boat moored, anchored, up-anchored, and sailed. Safety was his main concern, taking the time to radio boats when we did our drift dive, deploying the tender to assist in marking us, and asking the DM to re-emphasize ladder safety when someone wasn’t following it in calm water, so they wouldn’t get hurt in rough water. Clancy was up early, worked hard, and served three excellent meals from a kitchen smaller than your average closet. I seriously do not know how she did it. If you have food allergies, I suggest you make them known well beforehand. No one on our trip had this issue though. Clancy was also the relief Captain, as she is a fully qualified Captain in addition to her excellent culinary skills. Megan was always right with us to help with diving, gearing up, securing gear, working the boat, and helping out. I understand that she is now moved up to being the Chef on the Cat Ppalu. Breezy was there to provide great dive briefings, help out with anything that we needed and even guided our tour in the park. She always had a good attitude, even when she had to deal with a cranky outboard engine (and I think row the dingy back once), and was truly fun to have around. All five of these great people were the reason that this trip was so memorable.

Take Breezy’s advice and apply it to the crew: Name them, love them, befriend them. They work so damn hard to make sure you have a great time that it is impossible to praise them enough.

To wrap this long-winded spiel up, Blackbeard’s cruise offers an excellent trip, with a great value for your money. It is not a luxury cruise, but it is not intended to be that. It is all about diving, good food, good value, and getting to know wonderful people, both your other guests and the crew. It more than accomplishes all these goals. I highly recommend them and will definitely return to their operation.

Thorough, entertaining, packed with interesting & need-to-know info., one of the best and most useful trip reports I've seen.

Richard.

Glad you enjoyed your Blackbeard's cruise. I did one a year ago January and had a fun time. See you in Bonaire.

thnx for posting

Great report. Thanks for taking the time to write it up.

I was lurking, searching for reviews on Blackbeard, and decided to log in (first time in months) to thank you for this. I'm thinking of going with these guys in October.

I was lurking, searching for reviews on Blackbeard, and decided to log in (first time in months) to thank you for this. I'm thinking of going with these guys in October.
DO IT. You will not regret it.

Excellent and thorough. Funny, I was just browsing their site. Keep going back and looking at it, trying to figure out how I can talk the wife into a live-aboard trip.

You mentioned they do no guide the dives. Being fairly new to the sport and having only dived with guides (usually in groups of 6), how do folks know where to go while diving? I understand the briefing, yet I could see how easily it could be to get disoriented.

Any insight appreciated.

Thanks,
Kerry

I would be going alone. Do they pair people up?

Back
Top Bottom