Aqua Cat Tour: Sharks, Swimming Pigs & Iguanas.. Oh My!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

soundfield

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just got back from a week on the Aqua Cat. As I expected, the boat, crew, food ect was very good, but I thought the diving was just OK. As the years pass, I see less and less biomass in the oceans and this trip was no exception. There were many nice dives during the week; shallow patch reef, wall, drift and shark feeds. The corals were in "fair" shape for the most part, but not many schooling fish on most dives. I really enjoyed the boat in itself; it was a very comfortable live-aboard with a very nicely laid out and spacious dive deck. Here is a 15 min HD video I put together of some highlights or the trip. Got same great grouper and shark footage!

Aqua Cat Cruises - Exuma Cays, Bahamas - YouTube

That was a great video!!! Thanks for sharing. Would love to do a live aboard some day - been unsuccesful in trying to convince my wife and the other couple we travel with to try one - I will be sure to show them your video!

What kind of camera / lighting to you use?

Nice video.

The AquaCat was my first live aboard, last year. I enjoyed the diving, I enjoy it. While I don't have a lot of dives, in my experience I just figured it was a good example of diving the Bahamas. Seems to me that every place I have been has pluses and minuses. IDK.

My avatar was a picture taken on that trip. Great experience!

I am sure the AquaCat is a great boat though I have nothing to compare it to until this July. I had no complaints at all. The food was great, the crew was great and so was the weather. Diving is always great. There isn't anywhere I have been diving that I wouldn't return to dive again.

Really enjoyed the reasonably brief but informative video. If anyone is on the fence about whether to watch it, he shows us a tour of the AquaCat itself, and some footage from land touring and diving. It's not just an extended 'Hey, look, it's a reef!' video, but shows us what things look like onboard. Including what one of the cabins looks like, and where you eat, so we can get a sense of what it'd be like to spend a week on board.

I'd like to do the AquaCat someday, and your video was helpful. Thanks.

Richard.

My wife and I really enjoyed ourselves on the Aqua Cat, and I would recommend the trip highly. I was looking for something a little different without having to travel across the planet and pay $2,000.00 just to get there. I was also looking for less of a "SCUBA Geek" hard core dive trip and one with other things to do besides diving and the Aqua Cat fit this bill. Are there more exciting places in the world to dive, absolutely. But for a fun all around trip that is only a 50 min flight from the US, it's hard to beat. It was worth the money and if the world wasn't such a big place, I'd do it again sooner then later. In a nutshell; if you're aboard the Aqua Cat, have good weather and are not having a great time; well, it's your own damn fault! The UW footage was shot with a Sony CX-150 in a Equinox HD 6 housing and big blue led lighting (when used). Glad you enjoyed the video report guys; always a pleasure to contribute to the SB dive community.

I agree - it's certainly not the best diving in the region, though it has it's unique attractions. But between the the roominess of the boat and high quality of the whole operation it makes for a great all around trip. Ease of getting there from the east coast is a bonus too. I believe they have a lot of repeat business and there's reasons for that, we will probably do it again sometime too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom