Nassau in November

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Katch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have some vacation time I need to use up. I am thinking about going to Nassau during the week of Veterans Day (November 11). I plan to take Southwest (2 x 50 pound bags fly free) so Nassau is the only Bahamas destination - cannot go wrong for a non-stop roundtrip from BWI costing $99 plus a few points. I've never been there anyway.

For a solo traveler, does anyone have any cheap (but half-decent) recommendations on places to stay/things to do when not diving? Some places that have been advertised as cheap, do not really seem cheap after hearing about all the hidden fees.

:cheers:
Steve

Nassau is anything but cheap. Try a Blackbeard cruise if you want to avoid hidden fees and have a fun time.

Carib Dancer is another liveaboard choice. My buddy and I went with them last year at around the same time, and had a great trip. If you can push to one of the weeks they are running $1695 specials you can get a heck of a deal.

What RhodeDiver said. Nassau is not cheap since among other things it's a large cruise port. And really popular with east coast residents looking for somewhere warm. And dving isn't particularly cheap either since the only two operations are Sturt Cove's or Bahama Divers so their prices are set.

Cove's is on the south side so offers a free shuttle from hotels on Cable Beach or Paradise Island to their facility. Bahama Divers picks up on both as well but they're much closer as their shop/dock is on the Nassau side of the Paradise Island Bridge. We're talking 15mins. vs. 45mins.+ for Cove's from there since the shuttles make multiple hotel stops. Bahama Divers does 3 dives daily, Cove's as many as 4. And Cove's does the shark dives.

I can't comment on the "hidden fees" but if you book with someone like Expedia that should all be plainly listed in your final invoice.

You might check Cove's website also - they have some deals with a few smaller hotels and B&B type places. The latter are not close to downtown though so you'd want a car - cabs on Nassau are also very expensive. There are some smaller, older hotels on Cable Beach that should be more reasonable - usually you can find them on Expedia.

Another option is the non-Atlantis properties on Paradise Island. Some were view obstructed when it was built so they have some facilities privileges at Atlantis for their guests. Comfort Suites or the Best Western Suites are two that should be around $125 nt. + taxes. I think the Bahamas tourist resort tax is close to 20% though also. Comfort Suites looks like $111 + tx. for your week also. The amenities listed - those are all at Atlantis. http://www.expedia.com/Nassau-Hotel...66392&c=18007b00-0d7c-4896-a66e-aed53c6995b4&

I just did a dive with Bahama Divers and had a great time. We did the Ships Graveyard and Lighthouse Reef. The boat crew were friendly and the price wasn't too bad. I have also used Stuart Cove which has some great dive sites.

I'm looking into Blackbeards on the 8th - 14th. It is only $950 (probably $1,200 with fees/tax/and the tip). Also found a $50/night hotel near the Pirate Museum ($200 with hidden fees).
All that with a $100 round trip Southwest (2 - 50 pound bags fly free) flight, and I am getting ready for a cheap trip. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom