Diving the Thunder-Ball wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Guys: Does anyone know how to dive the Thunderball wreck from James Bond movie Thunderball? Does blackbeard liveaboard ever include that dive in their route?

That is Theos Wreck, located just off of Grand Bahama (Freeport). All of the local charters go there. It's been a good while since I dove GBI but Unexo is always a good choice for a dive op. Our vintage group dove it a few years ago on vintage gear, looked like Spector had returned to the wreck.

Tears of Allah (NSNA wreck) and the Thunderball bomber wreck are both off Stuart Cove's Nassau location. It's not a ship at all but a mock-up of a Vulcan bomber.

I doubt very much that any of the liveaboards go there - they all leave from the harbor on the other side of the island and go out to the Outer Islands (Exuma, San Salvador, Eleuthera etc.)

Site #8 on: Stuart Cove?s Dive Bahamas Scuba Diving Nassau Bahamas New Providence Snorkeling - Dive Site Map

Untitled-1.jpg

Also it appears they blew up the Thunderball wreck after filming was over so other companies couldn't use it. Read the narrative in the 2nd link Crush ^ provided.

Just south of there is also the real DC-3 sunk for the Jessica Alba Into the Blue movie in 2004. Also straight south of the Cove's facility is the remains of the fake wreck used as a prop in that movie also. #'s 9 and 22 on the map. Even the Cove's facility is in the movies - it was the original Flipper set and I believe re-used in the Paul Hogan movie of the same name.

Theo's wreck went down in 1982 so it has nothing to do with the Bond movies - Thunderball was released in 1965.
. Theo’s Wreck, off Grand Bahama, is an excellent example. Sunk in 1982, this 238-foot freighter is lying intact on her port side in 100 feet.

The area south of New Providence has been the setting for numerous Hollywood movies, including several James Bond films, and a number of wrecks were placed on the bottom as underwater sets. The framework that passed as the Vulcan Bomber from Thunderball and the vessel Tears of Allah from Never Say Never Again are still popular dive sites.
- from the official Bahamas website: http://www.bahamas.com/rapture-wrecks

Last edited:
herman did you find second stage medium orifice? I am looking for a source for second stage medium orifice seats. I can not find just the seats.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom