Diving in Feb?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robint

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We are thinking of booking a cruise the first week of Feb with stops in Nassau and Freeport.
How is the diving that time of year? We would like to dive both places.
We have dived Bahamas but it was outer islands on a liveaboard 8 years ago. We love sharks but not necessarily a shark feed, been there done that.

Recommendations?
Feb a good time? Or is water rough?

robin

Done there in Feb two years ago. I'm not a big fan of Caribbean diving (vs Asia or the Pacific Islands), but I enjoyed it.

Recommendations?
Dive shops?

Your two (only) choices on Nassau are Stuart Coves or Bahama Divers. Try to book a cruise with an early arrival time or you'll be afternoon single tank diving with Bahama Divers - Cove's is too far south unless you're on HAL or RCCL - then they have to provide service scheduled around your stop if they can. Coves will want to pick you up at 7:45 if you're not.
Stuart Cove's Cruise Ships Shark Cage Diving Bahamas Stuart Cove's Aqua Adventures - Cruise Ships
Bahama Divers - click on Policy for cruise details. You have to get there (5min cab ride) and they'll drop you off after.

On Freeport UNEXSO works with cruise schedules. They do both dolphin and shark feed dives. It's a pretty good feed...:wink: - see video below. The Theo wreck is a big boat (200' long) at 100' also. Dolphin & Scuba Diving Activities & More!

You might also check with Grand Bahama Scuba. IDK if they accommodate cruise schedules. Grand Bahamas Scuba - Meet Fred Riger. There's also Sunn Odyssey Divers - IDK anything about them.

This is Cristina Zenato of UNEXSO - the process is called Tonic Immobility:

[video=youtube;WK2LpUoqX6A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WK2LpUoqX6A[/video]

Read my post under "cruising and diving in May" for a report on Nassau. Note that water temp was 73 degrees at one spot and about 76 at the other. will probably be cooler in February. I wore a 3mil full suit and got a little cool but I am skinny and cold natured. Saw some others in 3mil shorties. We really didn't stay down long enough to get shivering cold. I really wanted to do the Stuart Coves shark dive but they wouldn't accommodate us even though they are the ships contracting op. They only did the shark in the afternoon, I think. Anyway they actually told us to contact Bahama Divers. I honestly won't go back there diving unless I can do the shark dive. For the money the regular diving is below par with the outfit I used compared to Cozumel, etc

Hi Robin: Have you made the decision to go? If you are on the Victory Feb 2nd we will be with you. We've dove Freeport and Nassau dozens of times. If you are on the Victory it is also stopping in Little Stirrup Cay (AKA Coco Cay- owned by RCL but also used now by Carnival). Little Stirrup also has an excellent dive available. Let me know if you are still going and I can forward more info for you.
Dr Mark 920

Back
Top Bottom