Bahamas Newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PStrangerX

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all. I'll be travelling to the Bahamas for the first time for a beach vacation, but mainly a dive trip. It's been several years since my last dive, so I am looking forward to getting back into it (going with my gf, who is about to get certified).

I know we'll most likely be flying into Nassau. Flights to Freeport are about $150 more expensive for me - so first question would be if the dives off Grand Bahamas Island are significant better and would be worth flying there instead? I assume whatever island I fly to, I would mainly be "stuck" there and not be able to island hop easily, correct?

2ndly, assuming I do stay go to Nassau, is there a consensus on which dive operator is the best? I've read about Stuart Cove and Bahama Divers, but it wasn't clear if they were the ones most recommended by the board.

Finally, any hotel suggestions? What would be a people's top choice for a beach front hotel and top choice for an off-beach more moderately priced hotel?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Actually, it's fairly easy to fly to the Out Islands from the Nassau airport.

We have only dove on Long Island but have visited many other islands. If diving is your primary goal then take a look at Small Hope Bay on Andros. It's a sleepy island but you'll have access to the 3rd biggest barrier reef in the world. There are daily morning and afternoon flights to Fresh Creek on Andros from Nassau.

I would second Small Hope Bay if you are looking to get away from Nassau. I have not dove with Bahama Divers but believe you would be happy with either operation.
Have not spent to much time on the island in a number of years, so not help much with accommodation but am planning a few days in Nassau in February so will be looking for something.

It's easy to island hop from Nassau. Not particularly cheap though, I think BahamasAir runs about $160-180 r/t to Freeport.

But there's BahamasAir - Fly to The Bahamas on the National Flag Carrier Bahamasair. Service to all major islands including Nassau, Grand Bahama, Abaco, Andros, Exuma, Eleuthera, Cat Island and all of the Islands of The Bahamas
Sky - Welcome to SkyBahamas - Delta subsidiary
Western - WesternAir
If you do the Nassau thing, Orange Hill or Compass point.
Cove's bundles a package deal with both. I wouldn't call Compass Point particularly reasonable though:
This small upscale resort is located on the ocean and the closest to the main Stuart Cove's Dive Bahamas facility.
Stuart Cove's Dive Bahamas Shark Diving Bahamas Diving in Nassau Bahamas - Dive Packages

Check them carefully too, I once priced a Cove's package separately using discounted rates on Expedia and it was actually cheaper.

Neither are in Nassau though if that's important - Cabs aren't cheap so to get around I'd want a rental car- the Cove's shuttle will pick you up there daily for diving.

An off-beach option is the Comfort Suites on Paradise Island. It's owned by (and view blocked) by Atlantis so you get Atlantis privileges while staying there. There's also a Best Western Suites that might be slightly cheaper.

Atlantis is pretty nice also...lol Atlantis Paradise Island Resort | Caribbean Bahamas Vacations

There's a few other options - mostly condo-style resorts about a mile down the beach (or less) from Atlantis also. Some seemed reasonable for beachfront properties - you can find them on Expedia. Here's one: Bahamas Resort - Nassau - Paradise Island Beach Club Looks to be a little older?

Bahama Divers is only a mile or so away across the bridge so a cab could work. Both operators run shuttles between Cable Beach, downtown, Paradise Island and their facilities. IDK if either pick up in that area or you'd have to go over to Atlantis. There's also local shuttles that run between Paradise Island and Cable Beach/Downtown - IDK the routes or the schedules.

Some properties on Cable Beach are priced reasonably on Expedia at certain times. Coco Plum is a real basic older option - I believe about a block or two from the water.
I've read about Stuart Cove and Bahama Divers, but it wasn't clear if they were the ones most recommended by the board.
They're the only two options unless you do a private charter with the two private companies at around $800/day.

On Grand Bahama there's the Wyndham Fortuna Beach. It's an AI resort and last time I checked had their own dive operator on-site. I don't really know anything else about it. Fred Riger at Grand Bahama Scuba also gets good reviews. Grand Bahamas Scuba - Meet Fred Riger

Some others are in the Port Lucaya area since that's generally where they keep their boats. Bell Channel Inn is an affordable option there - the owner also has a dive boat/op at the same location. UNEXSO is another option there. They do dolphin dives there as well as shark feed dives. IDK the experience required for either. It's a yacht harbor though so beach options nearby??

The other Cove's location is at Old Bahama Bay Resort - as far west as you can get and still be on Freeport. It would be a 45min. or so drive back from there for anything else. The big diving draw there is going out to Tiger Beach on their day trips but that's something that a new diver - or a returning to diving diver - shouldn't really do. It's diving with 20' Tiger Sharks in 20' of water and they like to "bump" you. OBBR isn't exactly cheap either.

Small Hope Bay Lodge has been on my go-to list for years. All my info is somewhat older also, I haven't been to the Bahamas in a while.

Last edited:
UNEXSO is another option there. They do dolphin dives there as well as shark feed dives. IDK the experience required for either. It's a yacht harbor though so beach options nearby??

I was just to Grand Bahama the first week of November and dove with UNEXSO. The experience needed the shark and dolphin dives is OW or Junior OW. We did the shark feeding dive at Shark Junction, but the dolphin dive was cancelled due to high wind/bad weather. We also did some non-feeding dives at Shark Junction as well. Still lots of reef sharks swimming around.
There is beach access almost across the street from UNEXSO, but don't count on shore diving. Some of the beach is associated with the Grand Lucayan hotel and with Memories Resort. There is a public access point next to the police station just west of Memories Resort. Not much to see though in terms of beach diving. The reefs are perhaps a mile out, and not much more than a couple of stingrays that we saw from shore. Outside the swimming area marked by the resorts, there is a lot of boat and jet-ski traffic associated with the watersports programs offered by the hotels. Not particularly safe for swimming/diving.

I didn't mean for shore diving since there really is none anywhere in the Bahamas except Exuma - more that the OP mentioned they were considering a beach front resort as an option.

"The big diving draw there is going out to Tiger Beach on their day trips but that's something that a new diver - or a returning to diving diver - shouldn't really do. It's diving with 20' Tiger Sharks in 40' of water and they like to "bump" you."

My recollection from Tiger Beach is 12 to 14' Tigers in 20' of water (90 minute dives with plenty of air left at the end of each dive). And it's not the Tigers that bump you (unless you're one of the photographers who has had their camera swiped by a curious Tiger), but the Lemon sharks that hang around the divers while you're waiting for a Tiger sighting. The Lemons will get up close and personal and it was interesting the first time I was bumped from behind, but never felt a threat from either the Lemons or the Tigers.

Heading to Grand Bahama in a little over a week and can't wait to get back.

My experience diving the Bahamas is limited to a week on board one of the Blackbeard cruises and some time at Stuart Coves. I enjoyed both. The Blackbeard trip was especially fun because there was a really nice group of divers on board and the boat wasn't full. The Stuart Coves shark dives were fun as well.

I don't know anything about land-based beach resort type facilities there.

I'm generally more prone to dive Asia and the Pacific than the Caribbean (due to biodiversity and my location on the West Coast) but I definitely hope to return to the Bahama to film tigers and other sharks.

[My recollection from Tiger Beach is 12 to 14' Tigers in 20'
oops, you're right - it's 20'

Emma's a big girl though...you bring the tape measure...lol

120725-120936-04051.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom