Cruise and diving in May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

keller34

Contributor
Reaction score
Well this cruise started with us going to the keys and then to Coz. Well Carnival decided to change this on us so now we are going to Half moon cay and Nassau. We would like to dive while we are there.

We get to Nassau at 8:00am and must be back at 4:00pm. We will need gear for one person and 3 of us will have our own gear minus tanks and weights. 2 more will not be diving but will snorkel. so a total of 6 of us.

Does anyone have any experience on this and who to contact to go with? I have tried Bahamas divers and waiting to hear back. USXSO(sp?) the email does not work, and I tried Stuart but they said they cannot do it.

How does the diving compare to GC?

UNEXSO is in Freeport, Grand Bahama. So wrong island if that's what you meant.

You've found both dive operations on Nassau.

Even Bahama Divers is going to be very tight. They're only about 5mins. from the cruise port but you'd have to cab there b4 8:30. I think you can call them at: 1-800-2DiveBahamas. It's not a real obvious place but there's details on their cruise program farther down this page: http://bahamasdivers.com/policy

The other option since there's 6 of you is a private charter. IDK these people since they're new since last time I was in Nassau but split between 6 it seems reasonable. Explore Scuba - Custom Dive Charters in The Bahamas | Explore Scuba Bahamas is the only dive operator located right on Paradise Island The Bahamas, we offer that one of a kind experience.

Custom Aquatics on the south side is the other option. They've been there at least 10 years. And pick you up. The issue with them is that it's 4 divers max. (small boat) so IDK if they can take your snorkelers also. Bahamas Diving - Custom Dive Charters in Exuma and Nassau Bahamas

If not for them there's always: Catamaran Sail & Snorkel

Makes more sense to split up if you want to dive the Lost Blue Hole as it's too deep for snorkelers. Around the perimeter it's 40' deep.

I'm pretty sure that's all the options on Nassau. Bahamas Government Portal - BDA Members doesn't list any others. Cove's kind of made an effort a few years ago to dominate that market. I knew of 3 other operators that closed in the last decade.

Half Moon Cay is Carnival's private island so you have to book your dive thru them. It's pretty shallow from what I've read.

On the Nassau port when I went to book, just to see, it had unexso as the dive op from what I read. I am waiting to hear back from CA and Bahama divers. Not many options is there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added November 27th, 2014 at 10:24 AM ----------

Oh well, Unexso had the shark dive but if it is true they are else where then that is out.

---------- Post added November 27th, 2014 at 10:54 AM ----------

UNEXSO is in Freeport, Grand Bahama. So wrong island if that's what you meant.

Yep you are right. I just heard back from them. I wonder why they had them listed as the dive op. Maybe they are confused.

That would be quite a trick if Carnival can get you on a UNEXSO boat from Nassau :D. Are you porting there also possibly? Many cruises do.

Nassau, BF -77.3500 25.0833
Freeport, BF -78.7000 26.5333
Miles: 130.63

If you go private charter there's some dives near the Cove's feed site where sharks wait for it. They should know which ones they are. Often it's near one of the wrecks. The interaction is much more natural as they'll be curious but not excited by the feed preparations. Mostly just cruising around.

Bahama Divers used to advertise there was a high likelihood of seeing Hammerheads at the Blue Hole. Since they've re-done their website it's not on there anymore.
Here you will find giant southern stingrays, large turtles, numerous sharks, groupers, large reef and pelagic fish, sponges and corals.

Google it for videos - it can be kind of a meh dive if the viz isn't great. Also inside the hole you're not going to see the profusion of coral you do on the reef.

Why is dive charters so much more expensive than Grand Cayman and Coz? One charter said it was $1600 for us!! At GC and Coz I can get one for $500-$600. If I book us through the cruise line for a 2 tank it is $150 per person and that is $900..did not make sense to me. Anyway I am trying to change it to the 5 day cruise from Orlando to Freeport and Nassu

There's 2 dive operators on Nassau.

There's like 3 dozen on Cayman and probably that many or more on Coz. So competition...

Sounds like it would be a good place to start a charter... Lol

I am diving Nassau on Sunday, weather permitting, with Bahama Divers. Arriving on RCL at 8 am. BD told me that boat leaves at 9 am "sharp" with 8:30 check in. I have used cruise tracker and it appears the ship gets there about 30-45 minutes before 8 am, this is RCL, not Carnival. This should give them time to tie up and let us disembark by 8 am. Hopefully even with the cab ride we can make 830. I emailed Stuart Coves. They are the ships contract op. I have been with them before with a better time frame. I asked them about afternoon and am dives. Their response was "we are unable to accommodate you please try Bahama Divers" Not we can do the am only , etc, just contact them. So I did. Bahama was much cheaper too. Stuart Coves leaves at 8:30 as well per our cruise ships itinerary and you have to take their shuttle to other side of island. Will let you know next week how it went.

I got the same thing from Stuart. I am fighting with Carnival now about them changing our plans and putting us on a different cruise that we really didn't want. I did find one that goes to Jamaica and GC that we do want but they are fighting us on it. I am about to show them how much fight I do have as I will get my cash back and book a different cruise line.

Get Carnival to book you with whoever they use - and ask them to pay for it as making up for your last-minute change.

Back
Top Bottom