Need help planning a trip to the Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SlowSBC

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello all,

My wife and I are planning a trip to the Bahamas and would like some suggestions from the members here. We are mainly looking to dive with shark without being enclosed in a cage. We've never done a live-aboard and would like to stick with on land accommodations if possible. I have read every site it seems and I am rather confused on where to go (Grand Bahamas, Bimini, Andors, etc). We'd like to plan the trip sometime in February 2015 but are flexible if other months offer better shark dives. We are also open to other destinations for shark dives if there are better options. I have contacted a few dive shops in the Grand Bahamas and it seems most only dive with shark on limited days of the week and also state they must meet a minimum amount of divers to go diving. I would hate to spend money going on a trip and not be able to do shark dives due to not enough people. Any help from members would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks and happy new year to everyone.

It has been awhile since I have dived in the Bahamas, but Nassau was always the best option for sharks and its "tongue of the ocean" wall/reefs were better than the reefs of Grand Bahama and Bimini, IMO.

When we first started diving we did a lot of trips to the Bahamas including Grand Bahama and Bimini and we felt that the reefs off Nassau, San Salvador, and the Exumas were better. Although we had a lot of fun visiting all of the Bahamian locations! We haven't visited Andros so I cannot give an opinion.

If you want to go on a "shark feeding dive" then I would suggest Nassau. If you want to dive in the Caribbean (in the wild) with sharks than I think that the Turks and Caicos are the best option. We saw sharks on almost every dive in the T&C islands. In fact, one time we were on land sitting on the deck of the Sharkbite restaurant in Provo's harbor when we saw a large shark swim right past us. Another time sharks were circling us during a T&C night dive - it was very exciting!

Also, be aware that the Bahamian waters will be rather cold that time of year (and the Turks and Caicos, too.) We went to Nassau in March one time and needed a full, heavy wet suit and we still felt very cold in the water. If you prefer warmer water that you should go further south - but you may not find as many sharks. You could do the shark trip another time during the warmer months.

Last edited:
New Providence (Nassau) was where we saw the most reef sharks. We did not see one in a week of diving in Exuma. Out of all locations we ahved dived, off New Providence had the most sharks. One dive we literally had to giant stride off the boat between them.
As said, the air and water temps can be cold. We had a week long front in January that had water and air temps of 64 F. It sent Florida temps down as well.

I did not use Stuart's Cove but I understand this is their specialty.

Thanks for the replies and advice. We have looked into going to Turks and Caicos but we were unsure what we would see there. How is the underwater life? We have never been diving in that area. We have done several central american countries and Mexico.. Is Turks and Caicos a better option than the Bahamas? or any other islands in that area? We are open to anything shark or whale related..

Also, has anyone dived with Epic Diving?
http://www.epicdiving.com/

Turks and Caicos is a lot better diving than most of the Bahamas IMO. I don't think you'll find anyone that shark dives daily although Stuart Cove's probably comes closest. Demand for those trips - and pricing - makes them more of a specialty option. Also at some ports the cruise traffic drives it to a degree - and they can't always reliably do shark dives for cruise ship pax due to sailing time conflicts.

But there's options for sharks at both. Except for one operator - most are open water experiences.

Did you contact UNEXSO on Grand Bahama?
Dolphins, Sharks, Wrecks & Reefs

Coves does canned shark feeds near their location in Nassau. They're sit on the bottom keep your hands close encounters. They're not going to like you raising your hands to film if that's your plan. Sometimes a better option is to dive with the sharks at other sites nearby - the sharks tend to hang around the nearby wrecks waiting to be fed. IMO it's a much more natural behavior if that's of interest. Of course that's less predictable.
Stuart Cove?s Shark Adventure Shark Feeder Adventure Outline - Sharks

Hover over all the dive flags here - some indicate the types of sharks you might see at the site(s). Typically it's the sites near the Shark Arena feed site.
Stuart Cove?s Dive Bahamas Scuba Diving Nassau Bahamas New Providence Snorkeling - Dive Site Map

Bimini Sands works with these people for Hammerhead diving - IDK any details except that it seems really expensive to me for what you get: Diving with Great Hammerheads at Bimini Island in the Bahamas. Swim with Hammerhead Sharks I think they use Neal Watson for diving.

Hopefully for that price it's not cage diving. Bimini Bull Run is a SASY cage operator there - I believe Bimini Big Game Club has one also - or maybe it's the same cage?

I'm not aware of any particularly shark focused option on Andros. Doesn't mean there aren't any.

As Kathy mentioned we also saw sharks on just about every dive in the Turks/Caicos. We happened to be on a liveaboard but the day operators from Providenciales (Provo) also go to the same sites - just a long day with a shuttle to the marina, 45min. boat ride followed by 2-3 dives then return. I can almost guarantee you'll see sharks off West Caicos and French Cay - two uninhabited islands. And a lot of Stingrays also.

If you change your mind on the liveaboard Google Tiger Beach...Coves other operation on Grand Bahama used to do all day trips out there also but the website is blank so maybe there wasn't enough demand? Tiger Shark Diving with Stuart Cove

Any interest in Whale Shark diving? Check Splash Divers in Belize. But not in Feb - later spring/early summer. Only during full moons also - the Cubera Snapper spawn attracts them. Belize Scuba Diving Packages, Snorkeling & Whale sharks|Splash Dive Center|Placencia Belize Belize Scuba Diving Packages, Snorkeling & Whale sharks | Splash Dive Center Placencia

hth,

Thanks for the replies and advice. We have looked into going to Turks and Caicos but we were unsure what we would see there. How is the underwater life? We have never been diving in that area. We have done several central american countries and Mexico.. Is Turks and Caicos a better option than the Bahamas? or any other islands in that area? We are open to anything shark or whale related.Also, has anyone dived with Epic Diving? http://www.epicdiving.com/

I like Nassau diving and I am sure that you will see reef sharks. If you want to participate in a shark feeding dive you can do that too. We did it once.

I think that the T&Cs have better diving (and more sharks) but you have to go to the more remote locations to see the best. If you dive from Provo (it is my understanding) that there will be long boat rides and not the very best T&C reefs - although still good sites with sharks. At least that's what I've heard.

Both times I've dived in T&C we were on a liveaboard and we dived West Caicos and other great sites. Beautiful walls, eagle rays, stingrays, tarpon, sharks, turtles, groupers, and gorgeous, healthy coral reefs and lots of sealife. Both islands are expensive but the T&Cs is the more expensive, IMO.

Since you are thinking of the Bahamas you should check out Nassau - but remember that the water will be pretty cold in both Nassau and the T&Cs in February. I'm a "warm water wimp" so that is not the time of year that I would go to either location - but that's just me!

i just went to Nassau, Bahamas a few weeks ago and stayed on Paradise Island. My parents and I (i'm only 21) stayed in the comfort suites right outside of Atlantis. We had full access to Atlantis without the Atlantis price. I dove with Stuart Cove's dive shop and did the shark adventure. I recommend them, I had a fun time and they made the trip that much better. They take your picture during the feeding and the photographers really know when to get that perfect picture for you. I can get you more information if you would like some, as my mom did all of the planning. She does a lot of the points for flights and hotel stays.

I have taken several groups of divers to Nassau to dive with the great team at Stuart Cove's. The 2 tank shark dive is one of their feature activities and is offered multiple times during the week. They are pros's when it comes to wrangling sharks. Plus we see sharks on many of the other dives around Nassau. Logistically Nassau is also very easy to get to and is a relatively inexpensive flight.

I think that the T&Cs have better diving (and more sharks) but you have to go to the more remote locations to see the best. If you dive from Provo (it is my understanding) that there will be long boat rides and not the very best T&C reefs - although still good sites with sharks. At least that's what I've heard.
True about the longer boat rides (45mins. or so - plus the van ride to the south side) but the reason is they go the same places you did - West Caicos and French Cay. We saw a Caicos Adventures boat out there one day - from Provo - while on the Explorer.
West Caicos - Walls & Walls (Now 35 to 40 minute boat ride!!)
This uninhabited island is situated on the west side of Providenciales, about 35 minutes from our dock. There are six miles of protected leeward side walls, approximately 100-150 yards from shore with more than 2 dozen dive sites. The wall starts from 35-45 feet, dropping to approximately 6,000 feet. You will see incredible sponges, coral formations, large grouper, Caribbean reef fish and stingrays. There are great spots to encounter large pelagic such as sharks, spotted eagle rays and turtles. On some occasions you will see manta rays and hammerheads.

French Cay (Now just 45 minutes from our dock!)
We arrange trips to this tiny Cay that was once used as a hideaway for pirates. It is now a bird sanctuary, located 40 minutes from our dock across the Caicos Bank. The wall runs in an East to West direction and therefore gets the sunlight all day resulting in especially large coral and sponges. Fish life is abundant, with frequent sightings of eagle rays, sharks and occasionally manta rays and hammerheads.
http://www.caicosadventures.com/ca_divesites.htm

When we first started diving we did a lot of trips to the Bahamas including Grand Bahama and Bimini and we felt that the reefs off Nassau, San Salvador, and the Exumas were better. Although we had a lot of fun visiting all of the Bahamian locations! We haven't visited Andros so I cannot give an opinion.

I am currently looking into Bimini for my next trip. The rest of the people in my group are non-divers so I need a place that is good for them as well as myself. Would you recommend Bimini?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom