worth bringing gear to Bahamas? how's diving near Atlantis?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phishphood

Contributor
Reaction score
I got +1'd in to a trip to Atlantis in Nassau for her company retreat thing. We're all doing a 2tank trip one morning with Stuart's Cove. I've got some extra time on at least two other days and was thinking about doing another 2tank morning trip or trying a night dive with one of the companies. My gear is just what I normally wear diving N. California/New England area. I've got 5mm booties, gloves that I'm not bringing (7mm super thick...) hood etc. Basically not bringing any exposure protection. However, I do have my din Mk10/G250 setup but no Yoke adapter that hasn't been serviced in a while but I know is in good condition still. I also have a yoke mk10 that I bought and was told "it was just serviced." Haven't brought it in yet to get checked by a shop, but it looks clean as a whistle and breathes fine above water. Should I bring it? Also thinking about bringing my backplate/wing just because. Rentals are something like $12/day each for regs, bcd, mask/fin/snorkel, wetsuit. Like I said, I know I'll be renting a wetsuit and unfortunately fins, but if I got diving 2 days will save about $50 by bringing my own regs/bc. Thoughts?

Also, I was wondering if anyone had any insight on diving around Atlantis resort, not heading back down to Stuart's Cove for the 2nd or 3rd day. I know it won't be as good, but is it worth it at all? Any operator's around there? Shore diving possible with a tank rental somewhere? Thanks.

Simple answer - no - the reef is too far out. Nice beach on Paradise Island equates to lousy diving. Even the snorkelers go to a small cay a short distance away.

There's no shore diving on Nassau except for one site that I see mentioned occasionally. I think it's on the west side but I don't know where you'd get tanks - there are only two daily dive operators on Nassau now and I don't believe either does off-site tank rentals.

Consider going out with Bahama Divers the 2nd day instead. They're located across the P.I. bridge on the mainland side - 5mins - but too far to walk - away. Their shuttle picks up at all Atlantis towers but even if you pre-book, call to confirm your pickup date/time on-island. They do different dives so you'll see something different - possibly the Lost Blue Hole (google it for video) Bahama Divers Also ask about a night dive with them since I don't think Cove's runs the shuttle at night - that's a 45min drive so you'd need a car - a cab would be even more expensive.

There are no other daily operators on Nassau. There are two private charter operators that start about $7-800 for a 1 day charter if you have enough people interested to make that affordable. Explore Scuba or Custom Aquatics.

I wouldn't count on Cove's having DIN tanks. Cove's advertises all their tanks have K-valves. They do have decent rental gear from Aqualung - rental regs are Titan's. But their BC's are jackets so bring your plate/wing.

Before you pack your boots, check with both of them since most rental fins I've ever seen in the Caribbean are full-foot so they don't have to provide them also.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply Steve. I'll look in to Bahama divers for the 2nd day and night dives. Any suggestions of good sites to try to aim for?

As for regs, I wasn't planning/hoping for the din setup. If their regs are pretty decent I guess I could just rent them instead but I will miss my air integrated comp lol. I'll plan on bringing my bp/w.

Back
Top Bottom