TDI Basic Nitrox Book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RedCash02

Contributor
Reaction score
I recently signed up for the TDI Basic Nitrox course and just completed reading the book they publish. I had the option to take the PADI Nitrox course for the same price, but I opted for TDI because I figured their books would be of higher quality and well.... more "technical". Prior to reading the book, I studied the $16 piece of crappy plastic that contained the EAD, MOD, etc, and thought I had figured out basically how to use the table and do the required dive planning. Then I read the book and realized it took them all 50 pages to show me how to use a chart. There was less than a page about what to do if something goes wrong. I know that this should never happen, but I still think there should be a greater emphasis on what action to take if it's your buddy. They mention the convulsions and that if anything appears wrong ascend? but what do u do if you find someone in convulsions how should you secure them? whats the plan of action after they are out of water?

They also show you how to use the chart before they show you the math behind it, which is a mistake IMHO. Most of the information on this chart is a shortcut for calculating P02, EAD, and MOD. You weren't given a calculator before you could add, and you shouldn't have been given a dive computer before you knew the tables (which aren't as much of a shortcut because most of that information r.

I understand that some people will need the book because my opinion is slightly biased as I'm an engineer and know chemistry, physics, and math fairly well. I just want to see if others felt the same about this book or others because my friend who is taking the class with me agrees. Hopefully the classroom session will teach us more, I'll keep you informed.

P.S. their pooor humor about because the way "science people" and "math people" do it just made the book more of a joke to me.

Did you research the agencies before you choose one, or did you just presume?

TDI relies on great instructors, but their materials are weak. PADI 'can' be the exact opposite.

You'll be taught what you need to know in the class. The TDI book is just a supplement. PADI puts a lot of money into materials, but will sign off anyone to instruct.

That doesn't mean both agencies don't have great or poor instructors in the mix, but do the math as you say. One is a factory player, the other is a niche player.

You'll get out of the class what your instructor brings to the classroom and you put into the class. Don't rely on the text.

The same instructor taught both so it was solely my decision. I choose the instructor because she has years of experience and I sat and talked with her and saw that she was good at what she does. I chose TDI because their course has the ability to proceed on with further courses with nitrox and other gases (if I take that route in the future). I had also read on this board that people reccomended TDI over PADI

Then you made the right decision. You picked a good instructor and a course that will flow nicely with your future plans. Don't worry about the book. You can always buy the PADI book if you want a nice multi-color coffee table decoration.

Spend time with her in the classroom and you'll be doing a lot of math. Have fun. My Nitrox, Advanced Nitrox, and Decompresson Procedures were all done through TDI. All my Trimix courses (4) were done with IANTD. My OW, AOW, and Rescue were done with PADI. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. :)

LOL! I thought I was reading one of my old posts! I had the exact same compalints about TDI books. Just wait untill you buy the advanced and the deco book. Actually dont wait heres the deal. The advanced book comes with the exact same AED chart and its almost the exact same info, waste of money! Then come the deco book, the enitre book goes on about how people use lines and bags, and youll probably want to run doubles... most people use a computer to figure out deco stops.... and more corny jokes. At the end of the book, it gives you a sample of the navy tables... another waste of money. I saw TDI at the scuba show last month and I told them what I thought. "Well the book isnt as important as the instructor" True, but damn for the price of the book give me some info, maybe something I can read through if I take a break from diving for a while as a refresher????
I think my next class Ill try IANTD

I'll warn you about IANTD. There 'workbooks' are Powerpoint slides. Their 'book' is the Technical Diver's Encyclopedia.

The workbooks are a joke. The Encyclopedia is a collection of great info, but also contains a lot of junk material that you just named.

The workbooks are $20 a piece. The Encyclopedia is $65.

I would buy the Encyclopedia, since there is some good info in there. But again, it's the instructors, not the materials that these agencies produce, that have the real value.

I took the TDI class Basic Nitrox course on a live-aboard. I was also very disapointed with the quality of the book. I found and read some of the SSI nitrox book on the boat and thought it was much more informative on the theory/best-practices of Nitrox.

thanks for all the info, just had to rant about the $30 I spent on that waste. I'm glad everyone agrees the classroom will be much better, as I expected.

FWIW - I have yet to see any agency book that's well written. That's partly due to the fact that most of them target their audience as the vacation diver, and write accordingly. And it's partly due to the fact that most of them are not written by professional writers, but by the people who are running the training departments for the various agencies.

The larger agencies ... PADI, NAUI, SSI, etc. ... package their books nicely. But for the most part, they lack the depth that is required for the student to really benefit from reading the materials. The agencies rely on their instructors to "fill in the gaps".

And if you think the course materials are written poorly, wait till you see the tests ... most of them focus more on your ability to memorize key phrases out of the class materials than they do on your ability to understand the concepts of what you're supposed to be learning.

Many of the really good instructors I've worked with write their own materials to supplement the agency stuff ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

From what i've seen i'd totally agree. My NAUI AOW book showed me just a few new things, but the class left me feeling a much better and safer diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom