LDS/Dive Clubs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dawn

Contributor
Reaction score
Okay, maybe someone can make this clear to me. I've been diving for a year now. This is my 2nd "summer season". Since it's a family affair, we shop around for gear. My husband plans our trips. It gets costly! So, it seems to be frowned upon if you don't buy from your local dive shop (even if they don't have what you want) and the trips are per person, but with four of us now it usually seems pretty steep. We enjoy visiting/shopping all the shops. But, if you don't "belong" to one there seems to be an uncomfortable feeling in the air. Is it me? What makes it a "Club"? To "belong to a club" does that just mean where you take your instruction from or who you travel with? Guess we are still independent. :)
Sincere from Ky,
Dawn

It is not you. People tend to group. Some groups are more freindly than others. My wife and I dove with the same shop and club for years before we opened our own shop. We were always second class citizens in that group. The first bunch to make our shop home was a click if ever I saw one. So much so that I'm not sure I felt like I belonged in my own shop and forget about new people. They got the hint. We do have a group of regulars that you could call a group or club. I think we try very hard to not give a cold shoulder to new people. Any group will take on a personality and some may not like that personality. So, in any shop there is a group. You may or may not be welcome. One thing for sure, you will not feel like you are part of the group unless you get to know them. One of the nice thing about that structure is it gives people a place to gather and talk with people who have like interests. We have several that just hang out. Some visit daily. Others visit on certain days. When one is planning a dive sometimes they pass the word through the shop. The people who get invited are the people who visit or call to see what the plans are. It's easier than phoning dozens individually. We have had people peak into our modest little shop and not seeing racks of Aqualung baby blue jacket bc's they leave without a word. I don't know their name. I don't invite them diving. Why? I didn't have the chance.

Hi Mike thanks for the reply. Where is your shop located? I drive up to Chicago every now and then right thru Indiana. We dive Blue Springs sometimes. We love the instructors at our "local shop" and feel comfortable with them. Actually, we like most of the people that we've met there. I guess we just need to learn the "ropes". Suppose we are still pretty new at this. Not used to doing things as a group. I really enjoy hanging out with other divers though.
Thanks again,
Dawn

Mike, I assume you have a shop website, right? Events posted there are kind of an open invitation. There is always e-mail, too. I think the clique thing, though, is a part of human nature. Frankly, I don't want to hunt beyond the occasional scallop, but I know some people enjoy that. I think you are right there is an element of self-selection in this.

Dawn
We are in Lafayette. Web url is sandmscuba.com. It's a new site but it's getting there. Directions, e-mail and phone are on the site.
Mike

I dont think that it matters what kind of club you belong to, there are alway going to be the clicky little groups that are special. I was a member of a local HOG club (harleys owners group) and they were the worse for the clicks. Now I just dont join clubs of any kind.

Dawn, I think I can answer your question as to why dive shops have different atmosphere's and often seem clickish to new customers.

Most dive shops operate on developing new scuba enthusiasts whom they train and sell equipment to. As you have noticed it gets quite expensive as the gear and trips mount up! The more students that learn at a shop and loyally shop at that shop mean profit for the dive shop owner. If you lucked into a great store with the selection you want, fair prices, service etc...it a match made in heaven. Will your lds order items for you at no additional charge? If not then hit the road and shop around for an operator that will do that for you... Dive shop owners will give you the cold shoulder if you take their class and shop down the street or on the internet!

Most of the "clicks" became friends on dive trips. If you like the owner/staff of a shop but don't really know them then book a weekend dive trip. By the end of the weekend you will know if they are the group for you.

Well, Dawn,
I was not trained at a shop & my buddy & I are often the odd-girls-out on boats/tours. We chat it up on the deck & galley, and sometimes people open up around questions like "How long have you had that cool camera?" or "Have you dived this site before?" The club people on board CAN be very standoffish, but I try to begin with the assumption that it is shyness & not REAL snobbery seperating us. They have a history together & self-referential jokes are the easiest way to joke around. I often see a lone diver shout, "Can I buddy with someone?" We step forward to include these people & usually have great fun as a 3-some.

Please make sure that the 4 of you are not isolating. Mom should step over to meet other moms ("Where did you find that cute pink wetsuit? I'd love to get one like it. My name is Dawn!") & let Sonny meet other teen boys (or girls). If you are always diving as 2 buddy-pairs or a 4-some, could you invite others to join you underwater?

I am not in a "club" per say, but I do underwater cleanups & scuba volunteer work which forges bonds. If you do your best to be open & the club people still snub you, they may just be too nebish-y t have any fun with. In that case, 4 people is a fine way to start a club that could eventually include friends who you have led to scuba.

I have signed up for classes that start this Friday. My girlfriend and I bought our basic stuff at the dive shop we are taking the classes at. Last weekend we decided to drive around and check out the other dive shops that are nearby.

After walking into a diveshop and being greeted and being asked about our situation you can feel the temperature drop when you tell them you are taking classes at another shop. I thought it was just me but my girlfriend noticed it too. After the third dive shop experience I completely agree that dive shop's are cliqueish.

It's almost like they are taking it as a personal affront that we went with another dive shop. Now I don't want to go back to any of the other dive shops because I feel like a traitor. I guess I'll just keep going to the place where we take our classes.

Hey Dawn,
I want to start by saying sorry, it is sad to think one dive shop has the control or a local area. There are a couple of shop's like that here in the area (Virginia Beach) but I guess I have been very lucky, I hooked up with a shop and met and have gotten to know the owner very well and he treats you like part of his family even if you don't dive or if you have been trained else where. There is a link on my profile they are very cool and have some very good trips with good prices, I think if you look them up and email them they can help you guys on trips and even some other good deals. Again I am sorry for the way you all have been treated.........

Rich:mean:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom