If O2 is administered, is coast guard called?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dbulmer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Following the O2 thread, I was just wondering what happens in North America when O2 is administered on a boat. Does the skipper call the coastguard to request further assistance?

dbulmer:
Following the O2 thread, I was just wondering what happens in North America when O2 is administered on a boat. Does the skipper call the coastguard to request further assistance?

Only if further assistance is needed, ie: Medevac, Transport

dbulmer:

The only times that I've seen O2 administered on a dive boat (Both times off of Catalina Island, Ca.), the local lifeguard agency was called for evacuation to the island for treatment. In these cases it was the L.A. County Fire Department. The Coast Guard was not notified.

Why mess things up even further by calling the Coast Guard? If you need evac or marine assistance, call em. If you transporting in and can reach 911 just use it. The Coasties will want ten thousand questions answered for paperwork.

Wildcard.
Reason I asked is that a casualty may be in denial about their symptoms, the skipper is not a doctor and that further assistance by the coast guard does not mean that a chopper is dispatched. BTW I appreciate that UK conditions are different to North America. In the UK the coast guard can put the skipper in direct touch with docs/medics familiar with dive medicine.

In the US, it is required by law for the Coast Guard to be notified if O2 is administered. The law states that anytime treatment beyond basic first aid is necessary, the CG must be contacted. O2 is considered beyond basic first aid. This is fact, not my opinion, before I get flamed for saying that. Granted, this applies to the required Report of Marine Accident, Injury or Death Form that must be submitted within 24 hours, but they should be contacted immediately.

Yes, there are a lot of questions that must be asked, but it is all so a flight surgeon can be briefed to make a decision on treatment. In the US it is the same, the CG puts you in touch with a CG doctor. The skipper should not want the responsibility of making a medical decision.

P.S. I'm sure LA County contacted the CG for the notification forms.

OBXDIVEGIY,
Thanks - over here AFAIK it's not law but most skippers will call the CG for further assistance. BTW I called our CG and they said they would like skippers to notify them asap - if they need to send out a chopper they'd rather do it earlier than later.

OBXDIVEGUY:
P.S. I'm sure LA County contacted the CG for the notification forms.

Ahhh, that would make sense. Its probably required of the responding agency. Would a private citizen on a boat be required to make the notification if local EMS was not notified, for instance if they went to shore themselves and transported in a private vehicle?

DaFireMedic:
Ahhh, that would make sense. Its probably required of the responding agency. Would a private citizen on a boat be required to make the notification if local EMS was not notified, for instance if they went to shore themselves and transported in a private vehicle?

It is up to state laws on notification rules for private citizens. In NC, the Fish & Wildlife officers need to be notified within 72 hours I think. That is if there is an injury requiring more than first aid, or damage above $500.

Can anyone explain why a government agency must be notified IF the person does NOT require emergency evacuation?? If Jane Doe starts feeling funny as we dock and we give her O2 and her friends drive her to a medical facility why does the government need to know? Other then to keep people employed and offices open...

What is the difference between a boat dive where the diver gets symptoms at the dock and a shore dive?

When I did a lot of diving back home, the LDS I dealt with had phone numbers of hospitals that had chambers, they had DAN's emergency number. Heck, they had Canadian emergency numbers since many times we used sites in Canada.

Back
Top Bottom