Question about maximum depth???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boondocks

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I have been certified since 1991 but I have just started diving with a group of guys that routinely dive deeper than I have ever been before. I must admit there are a lot more fish down there and we dove this past weekend to as deep as 150 feet. You basically just drop down and shoot the biggest fish you see and then come up. I have plenty of air, my computer says that I am still well within the NDL times and I have not felt narced at all. I feel like this is safe but when I mention how deep we go to some other divers they freak out and say we're going to die. My question is this: other than air, NDL times and nitrogen narcosis is there are reason that I can't continue to dive like this. Let's hear some opinions. Thanks!!!

Provided you have the proper equipment and training theres nothing wrong with 150ft (45m).
That means fully redundant kit, preferably qualified to do decompression diving (wont take long to overstay to get into deco).

At that depth everyone is going to be suffering badly from narcosis whether they admit or know it or not on air.

That said, if you are asking the question id suspect you arent totally confident about doing it or totally sure if your equipment or the safety of it so id recommend against it.

String:
Provided you have the proper equipment and training theres nothing wrong with 150ft (45m).
That means fully redundant kit, preferably qualified to do decompression diving (wont take long to overstay to get into deco).

At that depth everyone is going to be suffering badly from narcosis whether they admit or know it or not on air.

That said, if you are asking the question id suspect you arent totally confident about doing it or totally sure if your equipment or the safety of it so id recommend against it.

i agree. if you have proper training and equipment then its ok. but dont even think about doing that on air. why risk it just becasue your buds do? dive safe and get certified to use other forms of gases. at that depth you could be seriously impaired even if you think your not.

Everyone is narced at 150 feet on air. You just dont know it until you need to do something and don't or you shouldn't do something and do. I do it every once in a while and try to descend slowly and keep activity to a minimum. It should be more evident if you are spearing though and darting down.

partridge:
Everyone is narced at 150 feet on air. You just dont know it until you need to do something and don't or you shouldn't do something and do. I do it every once in a while and try to descend slowly and keep activity to a minimum. It should be more evident if you are spearing though and darting down.

thats when most accidents and fatalities occur. wherein you are deep on air and think you are capable of certain tasks only find out the hard way that your not. the deeper you go taskloading can be a b*%^ especially while narced at depth

Boondocks:
I have plenty of air, my computer says that I am still well within the NDL times and I have not felt narced at all.

Thats the funny thing with narcosis, you don't feel it while your there.

Boondocks:
My question is this: other than air, NDL times and nitrogen narcosis is there are reason that I can't continue to dive like this.

Isn't that enough?

Many spear fishermen do dives like that all the time. Have for years.

The only thing about narcosis that everyone agrees with is that it affects everyone differently at different depths.

shooter226:
Many spear fishermen do dives like that all the time. Have for years.

The only thing about narcosis that everyone agrees with is that it affects everyone differently at different depths.

agreed but it is also proven that just becasue you do not feel it doesnt mean your not narced.

At 150f, on air, you'll be spearing your dive-buddy.

Of course you can do it on air. Yes, you will be more clear-headed on trimix but so what.

If you are bouncing down, spearing a fish, and coming back up air is fine. Most of the people saying otherwise are just repeating what they have read. You have people with 50 dives lecturing on how terrible it is to use air at 150. In Europe rec diving is to 165fsw and people use air all the time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom