Places to dive in Connecticut

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reay21

New
Reaction score
Hi,
I am a new diver and live in Connecticut. I got my OW cert while vacationing in the Bahamas earlier this year but have not been able to go diving since.
I have a buddy lined up and we were wondering if there were any good dive spots in CT?
I live in Bristol (just north of Waterbury), the closer the dive spot the better (it's hard getting any free time).

Thanks,
Brent

reay21:
Hi,
I am a new diver and live in Connecticut. I got my OW cert while vacationing in the Bahamas earlier this year but have not been able to go diving since.
I have a buddy lined up and we were wondering if there were any good dive spots in CT?
I live in Bristol (just north of Waterbury), the closer the dive spot the better (it's hard getting any free time).

Thanks,
Brent

Check out the New England Lobsta Divhas Forum page (hopefully the link below will get you there). You will find a bunch of information and probibly someone to dive with.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=56

What kind of diving are you looking for? Salt, Fresh, shore, boat??

In LI sound the vis is like ,,, diving in a can of coke just so you know. you may want to drie north to RI and hit the U boat the the destroyer up there and do some cool beach dives

In CT, Stonington point befor 10 am or after 5 pm. Westhill lake or Mashapaug lake or Bashan lake. Note: New law says we can't dive from boat launches in CT anymore.

Hi Brent,

I'm from Bristol as well. Welcome! Scubasarus pointed out some good spots. You should also know that the Portland Quarries have just been okayed by the town to be developed into a dive park. Good diving and people. Check out the NELD forums for updates about when they're open for diving.

If you're looking for salt water, Stonington can be good, but you may want to bite the bullet and take the drive out to Ft. Wetherill, RI (Jamestown).

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
I have another question. I have seen that divers can no longer dive from boat launches. How far do we need to be from the boat launch to be OK?

reay21:
Hi,

Thanks,
Brent

Brent -

We just revamped our website, which deals with diving in the Northeast, and more particularly, in New England. Have a look at the site at www.nedivers.com - we're still adding the dive sites in.

Until we get the dive sites fully populated, please feel free to Private Message me - we've got a good group of divers, and someone is always looking to get wet.

~Will

Now that we are in the off season I believe Stonington is open for diving anytime and the Waterford Pleasure beach is another spot.

When I was a kid, I lived in Bristol until I was able to escape. For freshwater diving, we went to Squantz Pond and a place called Crystal Lake out near Storrs somewhere. I'm not sure about any public access now though.
My uncle and I used to fly to Fisher's Island and dive there in the race. Pretty cool - just park the plane out at the end, suit up, and dive.
I guess in a pinch you could always jump into Cedar Lake and at least meet the legal requirement of getting wet.

Hi there fellow CT resident :) Myself and Husband live right next door in cheshire and are fairly new divers our selves. I must admit we did our OW cert dives at stonington point and can't say you are missing much :) LOL But then that was the first weekend of May and it was COLD! and WINDY! heh doing our compass work I ran us into the end of the jetty because I wasn't able to fully factor in the current. Hey but at least we were going in the right direction :)

Most of the lakes in our area aren't really great either - I am hoping the quarry in portland will be fun once it is finished. Really I get the most enjoyment of tagging along with friends and hunting for lobsters off of RI or MA. Otherwise I try to schedule as much time as possible some where with warm waters and lots of coral and fish!!

Back
Top Bottom