Hello All

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

center10

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Will start my OW dive class on tuesday. I'm looking forward to getting my certification. My wife will follow and both my daughters (4 and 7) already love to snorkle in the ocean. We will be a SCUBA family. Would appreciate thoughts on good gear to buy. I have started with the Henderson 5mm Titanium Hyperstretch jumpsuit, 7mm Hyperstretch booties, Citizen Aqualand MA9024 Watch. Looking for thoughts/recommendations on BCs, regulators, etc.

Hey center10
welcome to ScubaBoard, take your time on picking your gear, unless you are like me. :D
David

center10:
Will start my OW dive class on tuesday. I'm looking forward to getting my certification. My wife will follow and both my daughters (4 and 7) already love to snorkle in the ocean. We will be a SCUBA family. Would appreciate thoughts on good gear to buy. I have started with the Henderson 5mm Titanium Hyperstretch jumpsuit, 7mm Hyperstretch booties, Citizen Aqualand MA9024 Watch. Looking for thoughts/recommendations on BCs, regulators, etc.

Welcome to the boards!!!!!!

I will say this much. You will get 20+ suggestions on what to get and why and where..... Then you get into the INTERNET or LDS debate on where to buy. To cut to the chase. Most people will recommend FIRST to rent some different types of equipment and styles before you buy. This way you find what YOU LIKE and not some random person on the board tells you. But all will agree..... When you go to purchase, buy everything at one shot if you can. This way you can usually get a better price and bring down the dealer on prices. Worst case you ask for free air fills or something. They want your business!!
One other thing to post is what kind of diving are you doing most. Warm water, cold water. Are you looking at getting into wreck diving, photo's, etc...... If you give some more thought into what you can tell us you will be doing most likely after being certified, you will give us a better way to point you as far as equipment is concerned.
Good LUCK and happy diving!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dlndavid:
Hey center10
welcome to ScubaBoard, take your time on picking your gear, unless you are like me. :D
David
I'll have all my gear before class is over LOL :D

Check out our gear forums, as well as our New Divers forum...

:biggrinba don

A few suggestions I do like to offer every new member. First, it's good to keep your Profile with location and Dive Info with number of dives up to date so other members can address any questions appropriately; edit these as possibly needed from your UserCP above or the Quick Links above.

And don't be shy about posting. Click Forums above, tour the long list of choices, and jump in anywhere you're qualified. PM me with any questions, and I'll try to find a pretty good answer.

tkrock:
Welcome to the boards!!!!!!

I will say this much. You will get 20+ suggestions on what to get and why and where..... Then you get into the INTERNET or LDS debate on where to buy. To cut to the chase. Most people will recommend FIRST to rent some different types of equipment and styles before you buy. This way you find what YOU LIKE and not some random person on the board tells you. But all will agree..... When you go to purchase, buy everything at one shot if you can. This way you can usually get a better price and bring down the dealer on prices. Worst case you ask for free air fills or something. They want your business!!
One other thing to post is what kind of diving are you doing most. Warm water, cold water. Are you looking at getting into wreck diving, photo's, etc...... If you give some more thought into what you can tell us you will be doing most likely after being certified, you will give us a better way to point you as far as equipment is concerned.
Good LUCK and happy diving!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What will I be doing? Well, of course I have no idea how it will pan out but here's what I think with all my non-existent experience. I would like to mainly dive in the Carribean (reefs and wrecks). As my family gets qualified, we would like to explore the reefs for creature watching and perhaps photography. I would like to dive the Truk lagoon at some point. In terms of equipment; I am willing to get better-than-average equipment as I find this is generally more cost effective than buying the basics/entry-level. I just end up getting the better stuff in short order anyway. I'm at a point in my life where I can afford to get the right equipment from the beginning. BTW, 52 y.o., retired Marine, run marathons (although you wouldn't guess from my weight!), 6'1", 210 lbs.......oh and I wear glasses N.S. 20/400 and now bi-focals *sigh* A touch of gray in the hair due to having three daughters. So there you have it.

Moved from Introductions & Greets forum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom