Maximum depth for Open Water diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andy_j_briggs

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hopefully this will be a quick question, I know the official maximum depth for an PADI Open Water Diver is 18m, I was just wondering if this was different when accompanied by a qualified instructor/divemaster or equivalent? ie. could I go down to 30m when accompanied by an instructor?

Cheers

Does this mean that if one exceeds the 18 meter limit, the Scuba Police will come and confiscate the c-card?

I have experience with only one person getting a PADI OW. On her third checkout dive, my 12 year-old daughter was at 72 fsw, on a wreck, in a current. None of the PADI instructors (she had a total of 5), either in the classroom or during the dives, told me that, as a Junior OW, my daughter had a depth limit beyond which I could not take her.

Isn't it rather a matter of comfort and experience?

garyfotodiver:
Does this mean that if one exceeds the 18 meter limit, the Scuba Police will come and confiscate the c-card?

I have experience with only one person getting a PADI OW. On her third checkout dive, my 12 year-old daughter was at 72 fsw, on a wreck, in a current. None of the PADI instructors (she had a total of 5), either in the classroom or during the dives, told me that, as a Junior OW, my daughter had a depth limit beyond which I could not take her.

Isn't it rather a matter of comfort and experience?

I think it's a recommended limit, if I was with an instructor I'd be happy to go deeper than 18m but just wanted to check what the guidelines were.

What I understand is that you really need AOW and a PADI DM can lose his or her DM Cert if they take you were you are not qualified to go. I don't know if its the same for an instructor.

ScubaSarus:
What I understand is that you really need AOW and a PADI DM can lose his or her DM Cert if they take you were you are not qualified to go. I don't know if its the same for an instructor.

So I have an SSI OW card and a log book that shows dives beyond 60 ft. Beyond conversation with me, this is all anyone has to verify my abilities. If I am on a boat by myself or with a private group, isn't it my responsibility to determine whether I an qualified to do a particular dive or not?

BTW, yesterday I dove with a fellow who shouldn't be allowed in a bathtub, let alone an open water situation. I spoke to the Captain and the dive shop owner about it. I'll dive with anybody, but this guy scared me. Is it the suggestion out there that this guy, who has a c-card and paid his money for the dive, should be refused entry into the water?

i know its 60 ft for OW nad 130ft max for recreational dives. its more like guidelines and i see people passing these limits everyday. i guess its the call of your instructor or dM.

The max depth is 18m/60ft, that's where you start. That's plenty deep enough IMO/IME for a new OW diver. After getting some experience, the limits should be pushed slowly. I've been certified for almost a year, and my two deepest dives are still 72 ft (probably the same wreck in the same current with the same stingrays :) as your daughter). The whole point of an AOW seems to be an opportunity for an instructor to demonstrate how narced you can be and not realize it, hopefully they are also showing how fast you go through your tank and making sure you understand what options you may not have at 110' that were presented as viable at less than 60'.

OTOH, at age 12 kids are still growing like weeds, and we still don't understand how pressure affects bone growth. If it were my 12 year old (and I'm still a few years away from that stage) I'd probably want to limit him/her to 60ft. Not my call for your kids, obviously, just something to consider.

StSomewhere:
The max depth is 18m/60ft, that's where you start. That's plenty deep enough IMO/IME for a new OW diver. After getting some experience, the limits should be pushed slowly. I've been certified for almost a year, and my two deepest dives are still 72 ft (probably the same wreck in the same current with the same stingrays :) as your daughter). The whole point of an AOW seems to be an opportunity for an instructor to demonstrate how narced you can be and not realize it, hopefully they are also showing how fast you go through your tank and making sure you understand what options you may not have at 110' that were presented as viable at less than 60'.

OTOH, at age 12 kids are still growing like weeds, and we still don't understand how pressure affects bone growth. If it were my 12 year old (and I'm still a few years away from that stage) I'd probably want to limit him/her to 60ft. Not my call for your kids, obviously, just something to consider.

you have a good point about the unkowns of bone growth and pressure. i would like to say however that past 60 ft its your instructors call to take you past 60ft based on your experience, comfort level and uw capabilities. some people will naturally be more qualified and comfortable breaching this ow limit compared to others. luckily me and my buddy are one of those comfortable people:)

For NASE the rules are to conduct the 4 first open water dives in a min of 20ft to a maximum of 60ft. After that the pool is open to 130ft for air dives

garyfotodiver:
So I have an SSI OW card and a log book that shows dives beyond 60 ft. Beyond conversation with me, this is all anyone has to verify my abilities. If I am on a boat by myself or with a private group, isn't it my responsibility to determine whether I an qualified to do a particular dive or not?

Yes... You should make the call about your own depth. As for the start of this thread... Do you fully understand what deco diving is all about? Do you know where to make your deco stops if you go deeper than 130'?

ALSO BTW... Most of the dive ops that go to the speigel grove REQUIRE an AOW cert from any agency otherwise you have to RENT A GUIDE (DM) to take you down there.

Log book experience is not enough. I have about 40 65' drift dives in my log book, and that was NOT good enough for the dive ops I called about doing the grove.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom